Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having a bike judged for the first time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having a bike judged for the first time...

I had my H-D 1947 WL Judged at Wauseon and it was a good experience. The Judges were fair and willing to take my questions. The one thing I think that needs improving is the clarity of the comments on the judging sheet looking at it now there are a few things I can't read or understand.

This being my first restoration, my first judging, and the horror stories I have heard. I didn't think I was going to do very well and considered not entering my bike at the last minute. Without giving my score I think I did very well and will enter my bike again after a few fixes.

So if anyone is reluctant to enter a bike. Don't be.

Finally I think all judging should be moved to Saturday. There is no one left at the meet Sunday. The only people left at the end of judging are the judges and the people being judged. I think this is one of the things contributing to the elitist feel to the judging. Holding judging on Saturday would open it up to the public.
    Attached Files

I agree. Good stuff. Great shot. Give that fellow with the beard more grey hair and I'd be looking at my cousin.

Comment

Judging

I think your reply to the Judging is right on,its as different as night and day compared to last year.Being able to stand and listen to them go over a bike really helps.from what I understood
      at the Judging seminar its only the begining of the much needed changes.I also think you'll see more of the clubs changing to Saturday Judging as its the hosting chapters decision.I think a lot more people would bring there bikes because they could make it back for work Monday.On another note why do they have national Roadruns on a Mon-weds?Is it just for retired people?Anyway thanks to Kevin and all the Judges for the much needed changes.

Comment

I agree that there have been improvements - in Wauseon it was evident that the judging was more open and there was opportunity to listen in on the judges' dialogue. For those of us who have been through this before, it is a very welcome change. However, please give Peter Heintz credit for reforming the structure of judging to what we have today - it works quite well with knowledgeable, responsible judges. Kevin's fine-tuning should fix the few flaws.

Re judging on Saturday, I agree it should not be on Sunday. Case in point - after leaving Wauseon at about 1:30 P.M., getting home and in bed at 4:00 A.M. and having to get back up at 6:00 to go to work, I would agree that Saturday has to be better!!! What is disappointing is to see what has happened in Jefferson, where everybody packs up on Saturday while the judging is going on and the grounds become deserted by late Saturday afternoon. I believe the judging should be held on Saturday afternoon with the awards given out at the banquet Saturday night. This would also serve to improve attendance at the banquet. The only meet where I see that this would be a problem is at Davenport what with the races, but since that is the biggest meet and Labor Day Monday is a holiday, that could remain as-is.

In any case, my hat is off to the judges - some folks consider their critiqueing to be nit-picking (cotter key design arguments are a case in point), but this is the best way out there to pass the knowledge down. I have learned things from the judging that are not available in ANY restoration book. Also, I had a judge walk to my trailer in the rain at Oley, and stand in this rain with no umbrella or even a hat and explain the flaws to me. That is dedication to the marque! And thanks, David!

Regards to all who judge and are judged,
        Lonnie

Comment

With regards to the Road Runs being held Mon-Wed, just speculation from experience on my part, being a 3 day event (3 1/2 counting rider orientation on Sun.) participants must take days off from work for travel to and from the event anyway. Being held on weekdays accomplishes two things, less traffic for the riders and potentially lower pricing for rooms than if held on weekends. Would be tough to sqeeze a quaility "national" roadrun into a weekend. Probably wouldn't draw folks from afar for 1 1/2 days of riding. Just an opinion........... and as for the judging process, great system with judges who will spend "their" time helping explain if asked. If it were easy it would have no value, not to mention the pride of accomplishment. johnny

Comment

I agree, what you state about the road runs is correct. I was refering to the National meets - Eustis, Okey, Wauseon, Hebron, etc., where the judging is held.

Lonnie

Comment

Thanks Lonnie, my reference to the RR's was directed to the previous post by fellow member Lesliewhit. Have a good day ya'll johnny

Comment

Hey guys late reply however, I agree judging should be saturday in the am not pm b/c at times it takes 6-8 hrs to judge the field. Awards should be given out or scoring sheets after judging . Also it should be mandatory for the judges to be present after judging to review score sheets. We have to be accountable for our restorations judges must be accountable for there decisions. Give the awards out anytime.
                Pete

Comment

Working...
                X