here is my next dumb question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• here is my next dumb question...

at the risk of sounding extremely stupid, i would like to ask a question that will make me sound, uh, extremely stupid. i have a '47 wl. it has a toolbox. the toolbox is empty. what tools (and maybe a few minor parts) does the group think should be carried at all times? design my toolkit!

Not a stupid question. I have a few things that, in my book, are a must.

1. Spark Plug wrench or socket (test it and make sure it works before you get stranded and find it doesn't work with the tight clearances, I had this happen once)
    2. Spare plugs (wrapped in a rag to prevent breakage)
    3. Flathead screw driver
    4. a set of wrenches ranging from 1/4 to 7/8 inches (make sure it has a 1/2 and 9/16 inch wrench)
    5. rag
    6. proof of insurance
    7. spare set of points

That is about all you can fit in there if you plan it right.
    I am sure others can give you more advise, but I have always been able to fix anything so far.

Jim M.
    46 Knuckle

Comment

Stuff I like, in addition;
      Duck tape (threaded- squish flat), thin guage -stainless steel wire, zip lock bag, loc-tite blue, lighter (few people smoke these days), nylon tape, extra fuses, master link, sealant grey 1104(elephant snot) -if I'm really far out I always carry a quart of oil & gas in alum camping canisters in bag. Pad everything out with rags if you can.

Comment

thanks guys

Comment

I have to add to this now that I've read it again.
          If you have to wire something up, covering wire with duck tape just makes it stronger. Like doing a muffler. Loctite needs to be set- torch it with lighter. Otherwise it can act like a lube.

ALSO! If you have room - a set of 6' lead wires w/ alligator clips. Jump a bike if you have to. We had 7 bikes and two cars with no leads once. Then you have to pull batteries etc. Leads make short work of the whole mess and can be stripped apart for by-pass wire if need be.

Comment

Working...
          X