Oldest Models With Kick Stands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldest Models With Kick Stands

Dear Old Harley Experts (I mean Experts on Old Harleys)

The website for the Brough (pronounced "Bruf") Superior Club claims that the British motorcycle maker George Brough designed a bike with the "first prop stand" in 1920. I wonder if Harleys made before 1920 had side stands and, if so, could someone give me the specifics so I can try to set the record straight if the Brits are exaggerating a bit in bragging on what they call the "Rolls Royce of Motorcycles." Pictures or citations to equipment descriptions on earlier models with stands would be appreciated.

Thank you for your assistance.
    Roy

As far as I'm aware the Harley jiffy stand as we know it was offered as an option from 1926 on and all the 1916 to 25 models had the front stand that swung down from under the engine.
    I don't know if you could really call the 16 to 25 stand a jiffy or side stand as it was really intended to raise the front end so you could get the front wheel out.
    Somewhere in the recesses of my mind I can visualise a side stand that was similar to the one fitted to the wartime B.S.A. M20 but for the life of me I can't think what it was on. F.N. maybe.

Tommo

Comment

Motorcycle Jiffy Stand

Hi Friends -

here's the first Ad from H-D (June 1925).

Fritz

http://www.harleysons.de

Comment

Motorcycle Jiffy Stand

OKAY - Jiffy the second
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the information. I also like the "pretty girls" picture in the magazine. Is this the earliest "biker babe" picture?

Comment

"Oily" Karslake, while in the employ of George Brough, patented his Karslake prop stand in 1925. The patent was described as "an improvement in propstands" suggesting there may have been other, earlier examples, although I've never seen one, and I've been around a lot of early bikes. Although the patent was 1925, the stand had been used previously, as my 1924 SS-80 has one as originally fitted according to the works records. It does therefore, pre-date Harley's prop stand by a couple of years.
            Pete Gagan

Comment

Thanks for the out-"stand"ing info.

Thanks, Pete, for the info on Oily Karslake's patent for the Brough. I am working on trivia questions for another classic bike website I subscribe to.

Roy

Comment

Working...
              X