AMCA Youth Chapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMCA Youth Chapter

At this years Davenport meet I was elected AMCA youth coordinator. I am supposed to try and get younger people involved in our club. I am going to start an AMCA chapter that will be nation/world based and will primarily consist of people in the age group of 14 to 25 years of age. Being a member of this chapter will have incentives for being involved with old motorcycles like discounts from some major parts suppliers, a quarterly newsletter with want ads, resources for information on their restoration projects and a national membership discount. The discount on their AMCA membership will come from a deduction in their AMCA youth chapter membership dues. This is still in the planning/brainstorming stages so any input would be received with open ears. The main thing I need is names of potential members. If any of you know of some one that might be interested please email me at carlcycle@nrctv.com.

Matt, I received your letter to the chapters and unfortunately we don't have any members in the Dixie Chapter under about 30. I think the future of the club is definitely in our youth, I have helped put on the field events in Eustis for a few years and have enjoyed seeing some real young members tearing up the dirt in the events on machines twice as old as them. Good luck with your venture.

Louie Hale
    Dixie Chapter

Comment

Good job, and good luck Matt.

We could definetly use some younger folks in the club.

The Yerba Buena chapter voted to donate some money to the youth chapter, you should have it soon.

I noticed that the National is awarding special awards for the Davenport Meet. One of them is for the oldest Club member riding to the meet. I bet you can talk the old dude who wins it into giving it instead to the YOUNGEST rider. Lots of nice old guys don't really care about trophys, but kids do.

Comment

I don't wonder if this concern for attracting youth isn't a lot of misplaced angst. Look at the cover of the 2004 club calendar. A collection of vintage pictures of club members and club activities from the 60s and 70s. Besides people's kids can you spot anyone under 40 (or even under 50) in any of the photos? Yet somehow the club has managed to prosper and flourish since then. Was anyone in those pictures worried about where the members were going to come from in 15 years hence? I doubt it.

Lets face it - it takes a certain level of affluence to afford an old bike. When you're in your 20s and 30s, just starting a career, a new family and a mortgage, typically there isn't any spare time or cash to squander on old bike stuff. This is why I believe we don't see a lot of younger folks. We have a great hobby and I'm sure we'll continue to get our fair share of people 40+ for the foreseeable future ... Perry (just a hint over 40 myself)

Comment

Working...
        X