Tedd Knuckle Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tedd Knuckle Project

Kevin Underwood is building a Tedd Knuckle with parts supplied by Chuck @ Kick-Start. He's sending me some Pix of the project and I will post a few. When asked what main tools are used in it's construction, Kevin replied, "A stick-welder and a die-grinder". He thought he had been "singled-out" (aka. "I didn't sign-on for this b.s.") by V-Twin, when he had to ream out a portion of the Knuckle aluminum rocker cover, in order to fit the top and lower valve spring covers into the opening, and then do a couple of other "fit" mods.; until he received the complete Knuckle motor from Tedd and saw that they had to make the same adjustments! We could do a whole manual on "fit mods.", but they would be remedied and history by press time. He had problems with the primary belt drive and the transmission adjusting screw not being able to pull the trans. back against the stiff belt. Couldn't even get the 1" belt-slack needed, without the trans. adjusting screw buckleing. He's running a chain instead. I'm forging through with the 1-1/2", 11mm. belt primary. Do you guys want to hear about this re-pop Knuckle building or only just antiques? Give us some scoop, if you own or are building a Knuckle. If you ride an Indian or anything else, you might want to go and seek out your "favorite ride" catagory to post on. There's only been one person that's posted anything about Knuckles and that was a question about '40 wheels which received a cursory answer back in Sept.

I had rather hear about antique motorcycles. Just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

I TOTALLY AGREE.

Anyone would think we belong to some sort of chopper club.
      I thought the aim of the club was to preserve our motorcycling history not butcher it.
      A large percentage of the traffic on this forum seems to be promoting the construction of, for the want of a better word,choppers or specials and be in the defence of companies that produce very sub-standard parts.
      I have bitten my tongue over this issue for quite some time and although this may not be the right place to express my feelings, these very issues are in my mind what is causing the non-participation in this forum by a lot of members.

Buster I side with you 100% and now that's my 2 cents worth.

Tommo.

Comment

Thanks for feedback guys. No one seems interested Kirk. Please drop it.

Comment

Kirk:

I can sympathize with the V-Twin products hassle - you oughta try the "replica " knuckle tanks!!! On the adjustment for the belt drive, getting the correct slack has been an issue from our perspective here in the Carolinas also. The only solution we have seen is having to slot the adjustment holes in the transmission plate (prior to parkerizing, of course). We have only had to slot about 1/4 inch, though, not the one inch you mention. That was with BDL 1-1/4 belts - we will try Primo next go-round.

Keep up the work with the replica knucklehead project - I (and others) am interested in seeing how it all works out.

Regards,
          Lonnie Campbell

Comment

I did not read all the other replies to the Tedd project, so I did not notice the other replies. So, let me add my two cents worth.

I personally know of a number of AMCA Senior and Winner-Circle Harleys, both pans and knucks, that are running these replica parts. It is all a matter of supply and demand. When the price for sheetmetal for a knuck front fender gets to $600 for an example that requires considerable (understatement) massaging, it is at that point that the Tedd stuff comes into play. Replica tanks, same thing - as is said, get out the welder, hammer and bondo. Quite a few of these bikes are running belts drives inside their tin primaries. You do what you have to do.

So, it is not just choppers that are utilizing these non-stock parts. When there is a class for "Period Modifieds" at national events, this is an acknowledgement, in effect, of the scarcity, cost and quality of the factory-issued parts out there - the average guy cannot afford top-quality parts and "does what he has to" in order to participate in this hobby. Been to a national meet and priced knuckle parts? Looked on EBay? If so, then you know this is true.

I have talked with National Directors and there is a general acknowledgement that there is no reason that a bike with that is comprised of almost 100% (EXCEPT for the crucial engine case) would not be accepted in judging and participation in National events, as long as those part replicate (there is that word again) the original.

So perhaps we should tune in, not tune out, when these "pioneers" relay their stories of struggles and success in making these parts work for us all.
            After all, we may need their help.

Sincerely,
            Lonnie Campbell

Comment

I have to say, that I haven't notice anybody saying these type of negative comments about some of the companys (Members I think in most cases) reproducing Indian and to a degree a couple other rare American makes, parts and accessories. Because they're being made here in the states?? I think the old negative addage 'Made In Japan' has come around to "Made In Taiwan". Now don't get me wrong....I'm no fan of off-shore replacement parts....but if larger companys, like Harley-Davidson itself, will not reproduce these parts, then many Members and Non-Members alike will have to make do with companys like V-Twin having to get these parts produced off-shore. So now do we continue to bad mouth these 'American' companys and aftermarket Dealers and M/C Shops or do we put the parts and accessories to the critical eye and participate in having them improved to higher standards/tolerances. Listen, somebodys using these parts...V-Twin, Tedd's and the like aren't selling these parts back to the Tawainese. We should as a group try also to influence The Motor Company to come up with a "Vintage Parts Program" to reproduce at least some of the old M/C parts (yeah I know, wishful thinking that), but until we get some more American Manufacturers to produce these parts...you can expect even the early 80's Evos replacement parts to be coming from the very same V-Twin Catalog! That's my 3-cents....Later... Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

I think a percentage of us who visit this forum don't participate regularly because we are listening and learning. I am not a mechanic/machinist, this is a hobby for me. I see nothing wrong with Kirk's post's regarding repro parts, bike etc... It does pertain to antique motorcycle's. I have a '40 EL and don't intend on going belt drive, but gaining knowledge about what's out there will help if I do. And besides, if I don't want to read the post, don't click on it. Go to the next one of interest. Guess knowone wanted to hear about my request for info on the Indian Four a couple of weeks back, no replies. No big deal, I'm still tuning in and enjoy the conversation about my passion...any brand of antique motorcycle...and I must use some repro parts to ride them. johnny

Comment

I just have to comment. My regular ride is a 47 FL and it has many after market parts. Some good, some had to be hand fit with my trusty file, etc. The junk wore out fast and is in the land fill. Original parts are to hard to find and to expensive. I just ride it and don't ever plan to show it especially since it is in a 50 frame and has been that way since 1979. Some of you must remember when you couldn't buy tin or rocker arms. I say thanks to the folks that make them now. I hope this forum can help point out the junk like cylenders that break. I ran a Karate primary belt for years with the tranny all the way forward. When it wore out I went back to a chain since I am less likely to be left on the side of the rode with a broken one. I guess I forgot about the oil mess, oh well. Ride on guys, hope the kit bike goes well, you can ride with me.

Comment

i think that in a case where the part is too costly you have no choise i needed a horn for my 47 el im sure you know what the swap meet price for a used or oem or even one that don't work is compared to 25$ tedds horn which looked close to an original, i purchased one about 10 years ago and they still had that eagle looking thing on them now the new ones are just flat my point is that if the aftermarket fixes the problems with the parts they make as they come along they will survive forever it's a mater of supply and demand we need the parts

Comment

Working...
                    X