The Last Harley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last Harley

I recently read David Edwards column "The Last Harley" in Cycle World Magazine. In it he tells how there are no longer any Harleys involved with Harley Davidson. I distinctly remember John Harley Jr.'s layoff as it was covered by the media at the same time I was laid off from my own job at a steel mill around 1982. Time went by and I was recalled as conditions improved. It appears that John Harley, the last Harley with the Motor Company, was not. It seems strange that a company like Harley Davidson, that emphasizes it's heritage so heavily, allowed this to happen. My understanding at the time was that John Jr.'s father or grandfather had previously sold off all financial interests in the company that bore their name, which seems odd in itself, and that John Jr. was just an employee like so many others. It seems strange that no effort was ever made to rehire him. The history I have read never seems to elaborate on these facts. Does anyone know what happened?

Sorry, I do not know what happened. All the same -it's a sad fact.

Comment

Leads on the Last Harley

Junior and the Motor Company still have threads connecting them.

I have not read the book to see if his foreword is bittersweet or nasty, but Junior wrote the first part of the book released several months ago called "Harley Davidson at the Creation," which deals with the first few years of his grandfather's company. Somebody buy the book and report back, okay?

John E., Jr. also worked with his cousin, Margo Manning, to put on an art show in Milwaukee featuring his granddad's personal artwork (outdoor scenes and wildlife sketches) and technical drawings, which was on display during and after "The Ride Home." Of course it was not the "old man" who sacked Junior, so his work on that project does not necessarily indicate any sort of recociliation with the Company. But it was nice to see him being part of the atmosphere during the 100th anniversary, even if in the most peripheral sense.

Maybe if you are interested in tracking down the Last Harley, you could call the Art & Soul Gallery in Milwaukee, at (404) 774-4185.

Roy, the Nightrider (sometimes on Harleys)

Comment

Herb Wagners book, At The Creation, is a very good read for anyone interested in The Motor Companies early history. It does include a forward from John E. Harley Jr. There is no mention of the reason he is not involved with The Motor Company in this forward. Mr. Wagner obviously spent a great deal of time searching libraries for newspaper and magazine accounts of the period, as well as interviews with a few surviving old timers, to sort through the B.S and get to the facts about what was really going on in Milwaukee in 1903-1909. I can only imagine what it was like to see a motorcycle flying down the street with no brakes, dodging pedestrians, horses, carts, and wagons. Thanks Herb!

Comment

Working...
        X