Unusual Traffic Laws to Watch Out For

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Traffic Laws to Watch Out For

Some states and cities have unusual traffic laws which autos and motorcycle riders should know about to avoid fines and points. Let's use this thread to warn each other about strange or unexpected laws in our areas.

The following is just such a law, described on the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Web Site. In a nutshell, when riding on a highway of 4 or more lanes, you cannot pass a stopped police car or fire truck with its emergency lights flashing in the lane closest to that vehicle. In addition, you must slow down to 20 m.p.h. below the speed limit to pass those vehicles on a two-lane roadway. The DHSMV summary is as follows:

Drivers are now required to "move over" or "slow down" when approaching an authorized emergency vehicle that is stopped on a highway in Florida. The "Move Over Act", passed by the Florida Legislature, and was signed by Governor Jeb Bush.

There are several important provisions concerning this new law. On interstate highways or other highways with two or more lanes traveling in the direction of the emergency vehicle, and except when otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer, drivers approaching a law enforcement or other authorized emergency vehicle parked on a roadway with their emergency lights activated, are required to vacate the lane closest to the emergency vehicle, as soon as it is safe to do so.

When approaching a law enforcement or other authorized emergency vehicle parked on a two-lane roadway with their emergency lights activated, and except when otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer, drivers are required to slow to a speed that is 20 miles per hour less than the posted speed limit when the posted speed limit is 25 miles per hour or greater; or travel at 5 miles per hour when the posted speed limit is 20 miles per hour or less. A violation of this act will be a moving violation punishable with a $60 fine and three-points.

The "Move Over Act", designed to protect law enforcement and other emergency workers on our highways, was sponsored by Senator Victor Crist, District 13, Tampa, and Representative Mark Flanagan, District 68, Bradenton. The support of the International Union of Police Associations (IUPA) was instrumental in getting this important piece of legislation passed.

Be careful not to pass an emergency vehicle at, say 45 m.p.h. in a 55 zone. You could have to pay a fine and lose points!

Roy, The Nightrider

Good law! I have a family member that was clipped doing a routine pull-over. Not even his regular marine/narc. gig. His career ended w/ perminent disability. It's scary how many cops (and hwy workers) get clipped on the side of the road. ie. I'm sorry I killed you - I wasn't paying attention while I was driving. Or -I was rubber necking so hard I drifted into the emerg vehicle. I have a real problem with the law and how it distinguishes between vehicular manslaughter and an accident. I like it when judges almost come straight out and say to accused- your a dumb ass. No amount of BS will cover that up. Now take your lumps. It's all in the presentation.

This would help a cop ticket a driver that intentionally, or not -buzzed him. While on the road side. I like it. They should make the fine $250.

Comment

I don't think you can call it an unusual law anymore. I know that Ohio and Pennsylvania have had similar laws for a year or two now.

Comment

Motorcycles in Car Pool Lane

Here's a good law for motorcyclists riding in Pennsylvania to know about, in case you ever "forget" that it is rush hour and you are riding in the car pool lane without any passengers: You are legal!

Chapter 75, section 3313(c) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes (2003) reads as follows:

§ 3313. Restrictions on use of limited access highways . . . .

(c) MOTORCYCLES.--EXCEPT ON BUSWAYS IN COUNTIES OF THE FIRST OR SECOND CLASS, MOTORCYCLES MAY BE OPERATED UPON ANY LIMITED ACCESS HIGHWAY IN AN URBAN DISTRICT IN A LANE SPECIFIED FOR MULTIOCCUPANT VEHICLES OR CAR POOLS, EXCEPT WHERE THE DEPARTMENT CAN DEMONSTRATE THAT SUCH USE WILL CREATE A SAFETY HAZARD.

Carry this one around with you to show the trooper.

Roy, the Nightrider (Original One)

Comment

Take a look at daytime headlight laws from state to state. And if any provision for antique vehicles. On organized road runs/events. ORG state.

Comment

Avoid Being an Outlaw By Riding to Work

Are you a lawbreaker if you ride your 1970 model cycle to work every day in West Virginia? Not if you have it registered as a "Classic Motorcycle." But you are a regular outlaw if you purchased the other available tag for that bike: "Antique Motorcycle." Either form of registration is offered to bikes more than 25 years old, but the one you choose will determine how and when you ride the motorcycle.

The law in question reads like this:

§ 17A-10-3a. Special registration of antique motor vehicles and motorcycles; definition, registration and use of classic motor vehicles and classic motorcycles

(a) The annual registration fee for any antique motor vehicle or motorcycle as defined in this section is two dollars. "Antique motor vehicle" means any motor vehicle which is more than twenty-five years old and is owned solely as a collector's item. "Antique motorcycle" means any motorcycle which is more than twenty-five years old and is owned solely as a collector's item.
            "Classic motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle which is more than twenty-five years old and is registered pursuant to section three [§ 17A-10-3] of this article and is used for general transportation. "Classic motorcycle" means a motorcycle which is more than twenty-five years old and is registered pursuant to section three of this article and is used for general transportation.
            (b) Except as otherwise provided in this section, antique motor vehicles or motorcycles may not be used for general transportation but may only be used for:
            (1) Participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades and similar events; may not be used for general transportation

Comment

That's interesting. A few years ago I was told by the DMV that antique and classic plates did not exist for motorcycles in WV. They told me the restrictions that applied to cars so I lost interest in having one for my bike anyway. I've never seen one on a bike. I have one on my '55 chevy. The police don't really pay any attention to them in my area. There are so many car shows, cruise ins and other "special events" that you have an excuse to be on the road almost every day anyway during the fair weather months.

Comment

Alabama Vintage Bike Tags

Turn in those pre-1997 vintage bike tags in Alabama, or you are a lawbreaker. And if you have a 30-plus year old bike tagged as a vintage, don't use it for "general transportation" or your lawyer will be bailing you out of the "big house." The law is as follows:

40-12-290. Generally

(a) Subject to the requirements of subsections (b), (c), (d) and (e), the owner of a motor vehicle which is herein defined as a "vintage vehicle", upon application to the judge of probate or commissioner of licenses on special application forms prescribed by the Commissioner of Revenue and the payment of a registration fee of ten dollars ($ 10), may register the vehicle as a "vintage vehicle" and procure therefor permanent license plates to be issued and displayed on the vehicle.
                (b) Beginning October 1, 1996, the owner of a "vintage vehicle" which is owned and operated primarily as a collector's item may, upon satisfying the requirements of this subsection, register the vehicle as a "vintage vehicle." The owner shall apply to the judge of probate or county official authorized and required by law to issue license plates. The owner shall pay a registration fee of ten dollars ($ 10). Upon satisfying these requirements, permanent "vintage vehicle" license plates shall be issued and displayed on the vehicle.
                (c) (1) The Commissioner of Revenue may make such reasonable rules and regulations as may be necessary to administer the provisions of this division.
                (2) A vehicle using or displaying a "vintage vehicle" plate issued pursuant to this section shall not be used as a commercial vehicle, for transporting passengers or property, or for use as a service vehicle.
                (3) "Vintage vehicle" license plates shall remain with the vehicle when sold or otherwise disposed of, and the new owner shall transfer the registration into his or her name in accordance with the provisions of Sections 40-12-260 and 40-12-261, if the vehicle will be operated in accordance with this section, and, if not, standard license plates shall be obtained.
                (4) The owner of a vehicle displaying an antique license plate issued prior to October 1, 1996, if the vehicle is to be operated in accordance with the provisions of this section, shall surrender the license plate and obtain the vintage vehicle license plate above authorized without payment.
                (d) For the purpose of this section, a "vintage vehicle" is: (i) a private passenger automobile, truck or truck tractor which weighs not more than 26,000 pounds gross weight, motorcycle, or fire truck, (ii) over 30 years old, (iii) operated as a collector's item, including participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and not used for general transportation purposes, (iv) a vehicle having the original or substantially similar vehicle body, chassis, engine, and transmission as designated for that make, model, year, and age vehicle.
                (e) (1) Effective October 1, 1997, it shall be unlawful for any person to operate, on the public highways of this state, a vehicle based in this state and displaying a vintage vehicle license plate not in compliance with subsections (b), (c), and (d). Any antique license plate or tag issued prior to October 1, 1996, shall become invalid on October 1, 1997.
                (2) Any person violating this section shall, upon conviction, pay a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($ 100), shall forfeit the vintage vehicle registration and plates issued to the owner for the respective vehicle, shall be liable for the regular registration fee and taxes for the vehicle, and shall be barred from applying for or holding a vintage vehicle registration for the respective vehicle for three years from the date of the violation. This penalty shall be in lieu of any other penalty specified in this chapter for this offense.

Roy, the Nightrider

Comment

Working...
                X