renewal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• renewal

i just recieved my renewal form, there is nothing on it about a regular membership, are family memberships all that are available? do i have to get married to join? could i just adopt some sweet young thing?
    sometimes my mind wanders on a cold rainy day. i would like to pay my dues. how much is it? thank you.

I haven't seen it yet. Just do it online.

Yes- that's it. Forced family membership. We will accept shotgun weddings, but preferably not.

Comment

I just got a renewal for "family" too and the requested dues are $30 instead of $20.

Has there been a change?

Comment

renewal

Same here. No listing of individual membership rate.

But I do note that the card in the Fall issue of The Antique Motorcycle reads $20 US, $28 Canadian, $40 other countries and $5 extra for family.

There was nothing in the Spring minutes of the AMCA about rate changes although there was a Treasurer's report from Dennis Craig indicating that the Club was spending over 98% of its income each year. I have not heard any details of the proceedings of the Fall meeting of AMCA directors so I don't know if any decision was taken there. I have Emailed Pete Gagan to ask for clarification.

If the new rates have been approved it will mean a 50% increase for American individual members, a 20% increase for American family members, a 21% increase for Canadian members (but only a 4% increase for Canadian families) no increase for Foreign members and an 11% decrease for Foreign family members.

AFJ

Comment

I agree, very confusing. Can a national officer please explain?

Comment

Hey Louie, I'll try to get a board member to respond directly. From what I understand things happened quickly and there was some sort of confusion. I am not a person of authority to respond to questions regarding the new membership rates.

Yes, renewal rates have gone up.

Comment

The new member form (on this site) lists the dues as $20, $30 or $40 depending on your locale. The renewal form (also on this site) lists the dues as $30, $34 and $40. In either case family membership seems the only choice. I think I'll sign up as a new member rather than renew and save a few bucks. As an aside - the "Join the club, join the fun" card in the fall magazine lists the dues as $20, $28 and $40. I think the club needs to get it's act together and figure out exactly what the dues really are ... Perry

Comment

The card in the fall magazine was right -but became wrong. A suppliment was also mail out reflecting new renewal rates. The "new member" rate is a promotional offer.

Comment

renewal

As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread I contacted President Pete Gagan. He informs me that the decision to increase the dues was made at the Davenport AMCA Executive meeting.

AMCA dues had not increased for 18 years and Pete indicated that the AMCA was currently operating at a loss.

Looking back at the Summer issue of the Antique Motorcycle, I noted an article on page 70 by AMCA Treasurer Dennis Craig which indicated that in 2002 the club had revenue of $ 364,050. and expenditures of $356,898. The only reason the club had a net income of $ 7152 was the fact that $22,439 of the total income was from investments. Mechandise sales made almost no money, but calendar sales, Roster sales and income from National Meet fees were income generators. Membership income and magazine advertising, the other major revenue sources did not cover the magazine, membership, administrative, web site and other miscellaneous costs. The interest on reserves was all that was keeping the club out of the red.

I am not part of the AMCA executive (and never have been) but have been an AMCA member for about 25 years. I can certainly see from a close look at the statement from Dennis Craig that the financial state of the AMCA was not healthy enough to avoid the need for a substantial fee increase after so many years of stability.

Allan Johnson

Comment

Renewal

I was shocked to see such a large increase in renewal fees. I have had problems paying $20 in the past and know I will have doubts about rejoning at $30. The AMA increased dues to $30 years ago and I had to let my membership go, and they have a monthly magazine and lots of other fringe benifits. > I've read in the club magazine about the possibility of the magazine going national for sale on the news stands. I think this would be a big money generator for the club, which in turn would bring more exposure to the club, which would bring in more members, which would bring in more money, which I'm hoping would keep membership more affordable for all. > I know there are a lot of rich members in the club and I'm hoping this latest increase is not a ploy to weed out the poor and turn the club into a rich man's only club. That reminds me of the way Harley-Davidson treats us old timers now that HD seems to be a RUBS only dealerships, after us old timers helped them survive the dark days. Maybe you could ask the rich members to donate extra to keep things affordable for the less fortunate or possibily consider accepting donations for a tax free income deduction, something many of them are looking for. > Please keep the club membeship affordable to all and find other means to raise funds to keep it running smoothly. 41FL

Comment

Op-Ed (opposite the editorial page) on AMCA at Newsstand

It's nice to see the club mag out amongst the citizenry, but at what cost? The book/ magazine market is a basically a large consignment industry that pretends it's not. Rick Schunk and his associates, have until this current issue, produced a flawless (Mac generated) limited edition work of art. You may have noticed in this current issue, some color bleed-outs which passed muster, maybe because of "newstand deadlines." I predict that the club will sink a hundred grand or more into getting the mag on the newstands, accepting un-sold returns from the vendor and stick-with-the-program for 6 months to a year and end up failing at their attempt. It's a big jump to make, going into national distribution and securing public acceptance of a publication. You can be sure that the distributor that "sold" this venture to the club, will make his money "up front".

Comment

Thanks for the reply Paul. I have no problem with the rate going up, I'm surprised it didn't go up sooner. What I do have a problem with is the confusing way the dues is stated on the renewal form. Why not just state a single membership is $???, and a family is $???.
                        I think it's going to turn into a mess when people start sending in $20. for a single membership because it does not say on the form how much it is.
                        As far as 41FL not being able to afford the increase, he must ride a rat bike because he surely can't afford parts for a Knucklehead.

Louie

Comment

Increase Renewal Fees....

I know to some an increase of $10.00 may not seem like much. But there are Members who live 'pay check-to-pay check'. A $30.00 Membership fee (READ: magazine subscription 'cause that's what it really is....we still have to pay for our Vendor spots, and anything else with the AMCA logo on it)...regardlesss of what some may think is a big chunk of money out of a persons 'Toy Money'. And I'm sure I'm not alone in shelling out monies for other Organizations and Sub fees. Besides, the wife only sees the BIG NUMBERS, not the smaller increases. Any increase in cost for my things requires an even larger increase in her things!! Its a vicious cycle!! Owning a Knucklehead surely would make 41FL 'Motorcycle Rich'...but he's probably like me....'Cash Poor'!! Don't forget the old saying 41FL..."so long as you own a Harley Knucklehead, you'll never go broke"...or something like that......Oh and what's wrong with a Rat Knuck?? They're the best kind!! Anyway, I'll fork over the extra cash if helps keep the books balanced and especially if it keeps the Family costs to $30.00. Still it would have been nice to see it coming. Hey, Does this mean Mrs Dangrs gets her own card??.... .....Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

As I understand it from Pete Gagan, the $30US for American and the $34US for Canadian/Mexican memberships is a family one and includes a card for the spouse, if listed.

AFJ

Comment

Your membership entitles you to a family membership. One in the same now. No additional fee. If you want a family card you just insert the additional name.

100K is a huge sum of $. Way -W A Y -off the mark. Thankfully, the club magazine is selling better than anyone had expected on the newstand.

Comment

Working...
                              X