Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

William H. Davidson Interview: Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William H. Davidson Interview: Suggestions?

For the Winter issue of The Antique Motorcycle I'm putting together an article based on two interviews I did with the late William H. Davidson in 1990. In total there are some 103 pages of transcribed material (from the tapes). I will have to decide what to include and am open to requests. The interviews touched on just about every aspect of Harley-Davidson (Indian mentioned too) so there is a wealth of information. Any suggestions or requests?

Bear in mind that William H. Davidson (Willie G.'s father) was born in 1905. He was the son of William A. Davidson. He officially began working for the Motor Company in 1928 (summers before that). Upon the death of his uncle Walter Davidson in 1942, William H. Davidson became president of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co. and kept that job until AMF eased him out in 1971. In the interviews he pretty much told all.

His life paralleled the Harley-Davidson motorcycle from its 1905 (NOT 1903) marketplace introduction up to just about the magical 35 year mark, re: the club rules.

Please tell me what you'd like to hear from this grand old gent from Harley-Davidson.

http://www.atthecreation.com/

What a fantastic opportunity! I'll have to focus, and come up with a goodie.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminGuy
      What a fantastic opportunity! I'll have to focus, and come up with a goodie.
      Please do. We talked about his life with Harley-Davidson, the founders, the bikes, some racing stuff -- you name it.

Unfortunately, I didn't know enough at the time to ask some very critical questions (like what was the thinking in 1954 when that year was awarded the 50th Medallion, although I think we have the answer now anyway). Also biographical info about guys who worked at the Motor Company at an early date.

I tried to interview him the next year but we didn't connect, and then he was gone. He was probably the single best authority on Harley-Davidson. He was also a gentleman -- considering that I pulled up on a BMW.

Comment

I would be interested in anything related to the Harley-Davidson company and the British engine design consultant, Harry Ricardo. I have heard that H-D hired Ricardo to design the cylinder head when they went to side valves on the 45 and later the big twins. Ricardo had designed and patented the "turbulent head" side valve and did hold not only European patents but an American one through the Waukeshaw company who were the makers of the Ricardo-designed CFR fuel octane testing engine.

Any info would be appreciated.

AFJ

Comment

Originally posted by AFJ
          I would be interested in anything related to the Harley-Davidson company and the British engine design consultant, Harry Ricardo. I have heard that H-D hired Ricardo to design the cylinder head when they went to side valves on the 45 and later the big twins. Ricardo had designed and patented the "turbulent head" side valve and did hold not only European patents but an American one through the Waukeshaw company who were the makers of the Ricardo-designed CFR fuel octane testing engine.

Any info would be appreciated.

AFJ
          Can't remember if Ricardo is mentioned or not. But if he is, I'll include that material. Thanks!

Other requests?

Comment

W.H. Davidson Interview

I wonder if, in the Davidson interview, there was any reference to Harley-Davidson's hiring of the Englishman Bert Le Vack in the autumn of 1928? Le Vack was a well-known Development engineer who had been with various firms in their tuning and racing departments from 1912 onward. His efforts were particularly well known in speed records at the Brooklands track and in the Isle of Man TT races. He had six years experience with M.A.G. the Swiss engine firm, spent 1922-1925 with J.A. Prestwich, the large London firm of engine manufacturers, developing their Val Page-designed v-twins and 1926-1928 with the New Hudson motorcycle firm of Birmingham developing their new single cylinder ohv racers.

Le Vack was apparently hired away from New Hudson by H-D and crossed the ocean but after a few weeks left the firm and then went to M.A.G. in Switzerland.

It would be interesting to know what H-DhopedLeVack would do for them and why he left so quickly.

I wouldalso be interested in any references made to the class C racing in the 1930's when H-D wanted the Norton International banned. This would be prior to the move of the 200 mile race to Daytona.

AFJ

Comment

From Blake Perry:
              The main reason for this email is because of the stuff about William Davidson. I read it and something does not add up over there at Antique Motorcycle. At any rate, I will not say it is incorrect, but it has left me confused. You see, in September of 1962, Pridgen and I made our first trip to Springfield Illinois for me to ride the 50 Mile National Track event. He was a Harley dealer at the time and Pridgen was in deep trouble with the Harley factory because of a floorplan program to finance machines. His were not moving and he was in a really minus cashflow situation at that time. The trip was to serve a dual purpose. The race event and then we drove up to the factory in Milwaukee where he was to spend a day sorting thru his problems with Walter Davidson, who was I believe was Willie G's father. I met Walter myself and he assigned an employee to give me a complete tour of the factory while he and Pridge sorted out the mess. At this time, Walter was a vice president of finance as I recall. I saw no reference to this person in the Antique MC stuff; only about an Uncle Walter dying in 1942. Not the same Walter I met for sure and perhaps there were many Williams and Walters around there. So, it just left me wondering about this story of the period just before AMF took over.
              Comments about Walter? He drank more than Pridge, and Pridge was the world's champion consumer of Canadian Club. He had been at Walter's home before and Walt's then 15 year old daughter came down the stairs holding a open can of beer. Pridge turns to Walter and remarks, "I see your daughter drinks." Walter replys, "She does about a case of beer a week." A family of lushes if there was ever was one. I have no idea how Willie G fits into this, other than they gave him a job and he seems to have done it sucessfully. I would like to find out which Davidson was his father though.
              Postscript: We're not the frying pan calling the kettle black. Alcohol, combined with bad genetic chemistry ran our dad through the spin cycle too. This is an account from a Harley racer who "was there".
              Attached Files

Comment

William H. Davidson

I am not sure what the post about the alcohol consumption habits of Walter and his daughter has to do with matters which might be revealed in an interview with William H. Davidson. I believe that some of the Union generals in the US Civil war complained to President Lincoln that US Grant "drank" - to which Abe is said to have replied, " Find out what he drinks and send a case of it to each of my generals."

But one story I will relate. During the 1938 Daytona 200, the Canadian rider Tony Miller was in collision with an Indian rider. Miller's right arm was broken and in the 100 mph crash which followed, the arm was so badly mangled that it had to be amputated at the hospital. So there was Miller, in hospital, an arm gone, and in those days no accident insurance and no money to pay the hospital bills. And in another country, thousands of miles from home.

William H. Davidson saw that Miller's hospital bill was paid and that he was able to get home to Canada. The act of a gentleman.

And Miller was not one of the H-D riders, he had been on a new Norton International ohc bike, the make that H-D had wanted banned 3 years earlier.

Later, in 1941, Miller was Captain Miller in the Canadian Army, responsible for the specification and purchase of military motorcycles for the Canadian war effort. Canada purchased 18,000 WLC 45s and 44 ELC 61s to specifications worked out by Miller and H-D.

After WWII, Tony Miller and his wife Marcelle had a significant role on the Norton team effort which won a number of Daytonas on the beach.

Funny how paths cross in this world, isn't it?

AFJ

Comment

Re: W.H. Davidson Interview

Originally posted by AFJ
                  I wonder if, in the Davidson interview, there was any reference to Harley-Davidson's hiring of the Englishman Bert Le Vack in the autumn of 1928? Le Vack was a well-known Development engineer who had been with various firms in their tuning and racing departments from 1912 onward. His efforts were particularly well known in speed records at the Brooklands track and in the Isle of Man TT races. He had six years experience with M.A.G. the Swiss engine firm, spent 1922-1925 with J.A. Prestwich, the large London firm of engine manufacturers, developing their Val Page-designed v-twins and 1926-1928 with the New Hudson motorcycle firm of Birmingham developing their new single cylinder ohv racers.

Le Vack was apparently hired away from New Hudson by H-D and crossed the ocean but after a few weeks left the firm and then went to M.A.G. in Switzerland.

It would be interesting to know what H-DhopedLeVack would do for them and why he left so quickly.

I wouldalso be interested in any references made to the class C racing in the 1930's when H-D wanted the Norton International banned. This would be prior to the move of the 200 mile race to Daytona.

AFJ
                  Thanks for the interesting suggestion AFJ, but unfortunately Mr. Davidson did not mention Bert Le Vack at all, although some other guys in H-D's engineering department are mentioned and I will include that. He mentions some racing stuff, including his experiences in the Jack Pine. Not sure about Class C stuff. I'm about half-way thru typing the transcript into the computer and don't see anything on the Class C subject that you mentioned.

The problem here is that we need the live Mr. Davidson to talk to with these specific questions. He may or may not have remembered the Le Vack episode, but since I didn't ask him back in 1990, we will never know.

It is interesting the things he knew and didn't know. For example, he knew full well of the fabulous Cyclone motorcycle built up at St. Paul, Minn. about 1915 -- that legend had come down intact. But he didn't know that Merkel had started in Milwaukee. Of course he was a businessman and not a historian, so business matters were what he retained best. If I knew enough to ask the right questions...which often back in 1990 I didn't.

Other suggestions welcome....

Comment

Originally posted by k.perry
                    From Blake Perry:
                    The main reason for this email is because of the stuff about William Davidson. I read it and something does not add up over there at Antique Motorcycle. At any rate, I will not say it is incorrect, but it has left me confused. You see, in September of 1962, Pridgen and I made our first trip to Springfield Illinois for me to ride the 50 Mile National Track event. He was a Harley dealer at the time and Pridgen was in deep trouble with the Harley factory because of a floorplan program to finance machines. His were not moving and he was in a really minus cashflow situation at that time. The trip was to serve a dual purpose. The race event and then we drove up to the factory in Milwaukee where he was to spend a day sorting thru his problems with Walter Davidson, who was I believe was Willie G's father. I met Walter myself and he assigned an employee to give me a complete tour of the factory while he and Pridge sorted out the mess. At this time, Walter was a vice president of finance as I recall. I saw no reference to this person in the Antique MC stuff; only about an Uncle Walter dying in 1942. Not the same Walter I met for sure and perhaps there were many Williams and Walters around there. So, it just left me wondering about this story of the period just before AMF took over.
                    Comments about Walter? He drank more than Pridge, and Pridge was the world's champion consumer of Canadian Club. He had been at Walter's home before and Walt's then 15 year old daughter came down the stairs holding a open can of beer. Pridge turns to Walter and remarks, "I see your daughter drinks." Walter replys, "She does about a case of beer a week." A family of lushes if there was ever was one. I have no idea how Willie G fits into this, other than they gave him a job and he seems to have done it sucessfully. I would like to find out which Davidson was his father though.
                    Postscript: We're not the frying pan calling the kettle black. Alcohol, combined with bad genetic chemistry ran our dad through the spin cycle too. This is an account from a Harley racer who "was there".
                    Blake:

Sounds like you have good stories of your own. I hope you are recording them. This is a good one.

I think I can straighten out these different guys for you.

Willie G.'s dad was William H. Davidson -- the man I interviewed. That is a fact.

Yes, it sounds like you met Walter Davidson, Jr. (actually Walter C. Davidson.) His old man was Walter Davidson, Sr. (no middle initial) and the first president of Harley-Davidson. William H. Davidson (Willie G.'s dad) was Harley-Davidson's 2nd president. Wm. H. mentions in the interview how "uncle Walter" picked him to be his sucessor and went over the heads of then living Arthur Davidson and William S. Harley.

Yes, Walter C. Davidson was a hard drinker. I know this from other guys who knew him. One time John Nowak (service school instructor) was with Walter, Jr. on an out of town trip, and Walter sent John out for a bottle of booze. When that was gone, Walter sent him out for another one bottle. Then Walter asked: "How do you like to be on the road for Harley-Davidson?" Nowak -- something of a wise-ass -- said, "Well, it's teaching me how to spend company money." Walter got mad and said: "Listen punk, I'm the boss!"

Not sure if Walter C. had a daughter -- could be -- just don't know. Let's see once..don't have that info. I'll take your word on that.

The 1st generation were drinkers too. But you gotta remember this was Milwaukee -- beer city. Guys told me that in the factory they sent "the boy" out for a "pail" of beer and drank on the job. The Davidsons were good friends with the Gettlemans and real beer was available all thru Prohibition. One old guy who worked for Willie G.'s grandfather (William A. Davidson) at his summer home during Prohibition, said that "old Bill" would come down with a pitcher of (real) beer and tell him to take a break. You can imagine how good THAT beer must have tasted.

These are the interesting human nature things about Harley-Davidson and the personalities involved that you won't find in the "official" histories.

Comment

Working...
                    X