1948 Indian Chief Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1948 Indian Chief Performance

Hi.... I'm a "newbie" here... Just picked up my first chief and I need some help. This bike is pretty much stock (as far as I can tell) and it starts and idles real good, doesn't smoke; but I notice that when I take it out on the road; I have to advance the spark all the way and give it almost full throttle to get it to run 55.. Is this normal?.. Maybe it is; but I wanted to check with someone who has far more knowledge of these bikes than I do. It's got new plugs, wires, coil, points, condenser, cap and rotor; and the carb seems to be adjusted right, but I just wonder about "keeping up with traffic on the highway". Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.. Thanks..

Most riders only use the spark control for starting the motor, and for a smooth engagement into first gear. Then advance it all the way, and leave it.

Running with a retarded spark fouls plugs, and blues chromed pipes quickly.

If you are pulling a sidehack up steep grades, then retarding the spark slightly may benefit. You will have to learn the sounds of your motor intimately in order to find the "sweet spot".

Comment

1948 Indian Chief Performance (Update)

Thanks for the info. That helps out a lot. Now.. Next question, it looks like the way the carb is currently setup; if I retard the spark all the way, and reduce the throttle all the way; the bike idles great, lets me put it into first gear with no problem, and of course I have to turn the spark about half way up, and give it throttle to start off from a stop... She pulls off real smooth with a fully advanced spark.. Now... To go into second gear.. I reduce the throttle back.. And if I don't reduce the spark as well.. The bike is idling real high when I put it into gear with the throttle all the way off.... Does that sound like the way it should work.. ? Or is there some adjustment that needs to be made. Just seems a little "odd" to me.. I guess I've been accustomed a bike's engine speed dropping when I reduce throttle to shift.. Also.. Seems I've now eliminated the performance problem.. I took it out on a nice long flat stretch of highway with light traffic, and found out that if I "pressed" on the air cleaner while going over 50.. The speed picked up significantly.. (Real odd?..).. So I stopped and looked it over real well and found out that the three screws holding the carb to the manifold were very loose.. (The Carb was sorta wobbling a bit) And I suspect that air was getting through.. So a quick tighten on the screws seems to have fixed that problem Any help or suggestions on the tuning of the carb for throttle and spark setup would be greatly appreciated..

Comment

Lock tight (blue) for the screws. Cotten sells his carb -intake to barrel -seals also. Victory library sells a Linkert tuning book. Tim -do you have a local chapter or a shop that you could visit? You will learn alot from other owners who have been down the same road.

Comment

1948 Indian Chief Performance

Thanks for the reply... I've got the Locktite and can do. The question on the "local shop" is a good one. Any ideas from anyone who is in the Richmond, Va area would be appreciated. I couldn't say I've seen any other Indians in this area in the past ten years.. Must less know of some reliable individuals that knows anything about them. (Good question though....) Just tough to answer.. I'll get a copy of the Linkert tuning manual... Also.. I tried the previous recommendation from the last post with "very good results". Found the most efficient location for timing advance; adjusted the low speed needle to bring the idle down significantly; and took her on a test ride yesterday afternoon. Runs fantastic!... Great low end pick up from a stop and 55-65 speeds can be done without making any adjustments to the spark. Seems to run real well about half an inch back from full advance... This bike is incredible to ride.. :-) .. I've wanted one of these since I first saw one as a kid; and its got to be one of the coolest experiences of a lifetime!.. Appreciate your help with the questions. Indians are new to me. Had a few Harleys but this bike has got to be the best!..

Comment

Uhhh-oh, a convert! GO ride a knucklehead quick! And snap that throttle.

Or aaahhhh hummmmmm ....a Henderson. Yup - I'm in awe of Hendersons now.

Nothing turns heads like the streamline design of a full skirt chief. Enjoy.

Comment

Working...
            X