Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame neck replacement

Hello Ya'll
    Can some of you frame repair guys. Give me a few pointers. On replacing a neck in an old frame. It would be great from someone who has done it before. So he could give me a step by step explanation. I am a good welder, so I can handle that part.
    Thanks
    Creep

Of primary importance is how you remove the old headstock: You must cut it away in such a fashion as to save the entire length of each tubing member that inserts into the headstock. This is a critical safety aspect.

The spine of the frame must be cut as well, between the seatpost forging and the rear tank mounts. This allows you to re-insert the members into their respective sockets in the new headstock. The spine cut should be "slugged", or aligned and reinforced with an internal piece of tubing that has been pressed into a "D"-shape.

The entire assembly can then be tweaked to 'straight' by the method described in the manual, and tacked. A gas tank is the easiest means of jigging it to the proper relation between the seatpivot supports and the front tank mount. A turnbuckle works well to pull it all together.

After welded completely, it should be stress-relieved.

(I attempted an attachment. Doh! It says my 64k j-peg is too big??? )

Comment

Working...
    X