OIl leak at generator drive sprocket seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OIl leak at generator drive sprocket seal

I have a 47 chief and oil leaks from around the generator drive sprocket shaft seal. The oil then gets on the generator belt which in turn throws it all over the tool box and rear fender. Jees what a mess. I have read that this is a common problem. I am wondering if the seal can be changed without opening the primary case. I wonder if a guy can remove the generator pulley and r& r the seal with the shaft still in place. Has anyone tried this? Thanks

Make sure you don't have too much oil in your primary. The brass bolt on the side below clutch hub is what I would think would be an oil level plug. I wouldn't think oil should be any higher than it. The drain plug is on the bottom.
    - Dana

Comment

There is a modern seal replacement that the Indian parts dealers sell. You replace the grooved slinger style bushing with needle bearings, and the seal goes on the outside. Here is a pic. You have to take it apart to press the bushing out and needle bearings in. Also, a friend bought a repro slinger bushing and noticed the groove was put in backwards. Meaning it spiraled the oil OUT instead of back IN. A goof up on the repro part. Maybe you have one?
      Gen Drive.jpg

Comment

I just re-read, and maybe you already have the seal. Maybe the pic will still help as you can see where the seal ends in my primary.

Comment

Now I notice this is a 10+ year old post! Hahahahaha!

Comment

Working...
          X