48 Chief and 3rd gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 Chief and 3rd gear

After finally getting the electrical problem under control (kind of) a new issue has arisen...I can't get the Chief into 3rd gear. I have changed the oil and have warmed it up sufficiently, and it goes into 1st and 2nd ok, but the shifter seems absolutely frozen past this...it doesn't even try to move into thrid...it's like the shifter is stuck in rock. Is this the clutch, or something else? The transmission is the original type and does not have the seperated boxes. Thanks for any advice....

Joel

If your transmission shifts into 1st and 2nd, I don't think it is the clutch. I would check to make sure something isn't wrong with the shift linkage such that it is keeping you from shifting all the way back. Other than that, it would be something in the trans. Maybe something wrong with the shifter fork or the gears themselves.

Comment

tranny

just a thought here ........allthough there is little reason for it to be messed with , have you checked your shifter detent tension .its worth a check , but it seems to me it would have to be way out of wack to create your problem. also has this gradually gotten worse or is it a "all of the sudden" thing

Comment

I have a '40 Chief that needed a welding repair to the transmission. I had the exact same problem. Fortuanately, I was able to take off the shifter tower and die grind the offending weld. If your transmission has never been repaired then you can eliminate this as a problem.

Comment

Working...
        X