Reproduction 29-deg. neck castings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reproduction 29-deg. neck castings

Does anyone have any information re repro neck castings for a 29-degree knucklehead frame ('41 - '45)? I had ordered a V-Twin casting and when it arrived (made in Taiwan), I checked it for accuracy, comparing it with both a '40 28-deg frame and a '42 29-degree frame. Though it appeared to be made very similar to the correct neck (as in the casting around the speedo cable opening), the portion that holds the neck bearing cups appeared to be too round. Also, it measured 2-7/8" from the dampener tab to the bearing opening, whereas it says in "How to Restore Your H-D" that this should be 3 inches. In effect it seemed to be a 28-deg neck made like a 29-degree neck. Can anyone help me out here? Thanks. Lonnie

If possible, get an R.G.A through your dealer from V-Twin. Send it back with an explanation (if your dealer can't get an answer) and see if they return one that's 3". A note about dealing with V-Twin: Be courteous. They have over a jillion items in their inventory. Don't alter your part. Send it back.

Comment

Thanks, Kirk. My dealer is taking care of that for me. It was a bit ironic when I received the neck - the bag had the price already on it, which my dealer said he did not write, was not his handwriting anyway. He placed the order the week before and was told it was on back-order, then it arrived unexpectedly, leading me to believe that same neck had already been returned once - for what reason, I do not know.
      If anyone know another source of these necks, please let me know. I have done a bit of research on "Edlund" frames, made in Sweden, I think. Unfortunately, the website listed for Edlund is out of service. I was hoping to discover his castings supplier.

Comment

Yeah...probably was returned before. Sometimes the aftermarket doesn't make any sense, but if your dealer talks to them, you'll get it made right.

Comment

Sounds like typical V-Twin protocal, keep sending it out until someone accepts it. A few years ago when they had their blow-up knuckle cylinders on the market they would just send you another set of the same junk cylinders when they exploded. Who wants to go thru that nightmare twice? Why didn't they pull them off of the market like Custom Chrome did? There is a guy in Australia making 29 degree frame necks, that I comunicated with a while back, I will try to find his info for you.

Comment

Working...
          X