Military Motorcycle Garment Identification Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Motorcycle Garment Identification Help

Not sure where to post this so I'll put here. Well, got away from the computor today and ventured out with the wife over to one of our favorite 'Antique' shop that we hadn't gone to in some time. While she was busy looking for her collectibles, I started hunting motorcycle stuff. I came up on a rack of vintage military clothing and notice what appeared at first to be a regular overcoat. I pulled it off the rack and right away noticed its quite different. Description is as follows: It's olive drab colored and seems to be made of a heavy cotton/canvas similiar to that of a tent but lighter. It has eupelets on the shoulders and looks to be similar to a trench coat or western style 'duster' with reach thru pockets on either side. It has a matching belt attached only at the lower back and a brass military style buckle. On each sleeve it has a similiar belt but smaller in scale and w/same type buckles. The rear of the coat just below the waist is slit and has snaps so that it can be opened or snapped together. Inside the jacket on either side down around upper thigh height are belts and buckles also. Buckles have raised lettering spelling 'France' while the metal buttons are stamped 'Paris'. Inside, stamped in black it reads: J Pauwels et Cie, confect...s, MERVILLE...euro., (the periods after the words represent worn unreadable letters). All snaps read: MILITAIRES . EQUIPEMENTS. I believe it is for military motorcycles riders. Other then that can anyone out there tell me anything else? Date these were used? Are they still being issued? Any other info? Thanks..Hrdly-Dangrs

Is it hand written in black ink? Any indication of division?

A friend just picked up a nazi ss full length brown leather( a gift!). Very creepy! Gave my wife and I chills when he stood in kitchen wearing it and told us it was nazi SS. Signature in the pocket w/ division and everything.

Side blab: About 10 yrs ago I saw a series of developed prints that were smuggled back into N. America via MP channels. A friends father (MP) was over lines (whoops) and plugged a DR courier to vamoose back to the correct side. Stole the uniform the whole bit. He stopped at one point and checked the saddle bags. He discover that he had plugged a HQ courier and stuck a bunch of film and some other stuff into his shirt.

He ships (smuggles) stuff home via MP channels as a neat souviner. Sounds crooked - doesn't it. Yup - me thinks so.

Understandably he doesn't say boo, and has a friend develop the film. Much to his surprise he discovers shots of Hilter and some key honchos hangin out at the crows nest. He doesn't say a word -as this was a very stupid thing to do. Governments don't like this sort of thing. Kinda hinders the war effort. He packs it all away, in safe deposit box.

The mother hands the envelope to the son upon the fathers death. The son does some research and discovers that some of the fellows in the photos were very adiment post war- about the fact, that they had not meet with, nor conspired with the nazi party in any way. These images still have not been published to this day. He mentioned something about finding a publisher upon his retirement.

Funny how history constanly gets rewritten.
    I mention this because I was completely in awe stareing at the high rez photos on his computer screen. All historic shots that I have seen have been via TV, film (crappy wannabe cinematographer girlfriend) or from poor book reproduction. To see original high quality scans of these prints - close ups and all! so clear, it really brought them to life. -of these horrific historical figures had my skin crawling for days afterwards. I was just floored. Seeing the SS jacket kinda made me think of it again. Creeeeepy.

Sorry -blah, blah, blah.......

Contact Steve euro chapter who may be able to hook you up with some info or a French member re your jacket. Sounds like infantry stuff to me.

Comment

The Coat is definitely French made. The wording inside is 'black ink' stamped, not hand written. It is in excellent condition and it actually fits me. What's just as cool is that while I was at this Antique store I picked up a Leather Bomber style jacket (you know the one like Belushi's in the movie 1941) except it is lined and has a thick brown material collar. American made! I figure that's a pretty good days find!.....By the way, a few years back I was at a military show and purchased an old German SS motorcycle helmet. Looked similiar to the U.S. Tanker helmet. Had a thick leather band that went completely around the helmet just above the eyes. The original metal head badge was still on it! Complete with a large eagle and of course the SS/Swastika symbol. I have a large collection of original post cards and I have a few German SS motorcycle cards that show them wearing these helmets. Pretty cool until you think about what they represented. Kept it for awhile then traded to a friend who still has it I think...Well, thanks for the tip. I'll try to contact him and see what they know. Later....Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Your a lucky boy.

Comment

Military Wear

The French coat is a DR type, and also similar to those used by the Germans in WW-2. I've just done a fair bit of research on such things, as I am the one that the Admin guy mentions as having acquired the SS officer's coat, more or less by accident.
          Yours is definitely a motorcycle coat, and dates from WW-2, or shortly afterwards. Military motorcyclists now wear more modern gear. A pretty neat acquisition and would look good on a bike. My coat is probably a lot rarer, but its wearer would unlikely be riding a motorcycle, more likely overseeing evil deeds. I plan to use it for riding anyway, as it has the same sort of fasteners, etc., but is more likely a throwback to the fact that the German army entered WW-2 with 1,000,000 horses.
          Cheers,
          Pete Gagan, Prez.

Comment

Thanks Pete for that bit of information. Any info I find out I'll put down on paper and attached it to the garment. George..(Hrdly-Dangrs)

Comment

Red Cross...Military...Wife....Motorcycle.....

I've been going thru my collectibles and came upon a WWII Red Cross Arm Band with the Red Cross symbol and the words Motor Corp. I can't remember where or when I picked this up, but thought I'd put it on the Motorcycle Overcoat. Looks great and may be Period correct too! Now if I can just get Mrs Dangrs to stand still long enough......No..NO Honey you don't need anything under it....Now just lean over the bike and.... ....Hrdly-Dangrs Fantasy.....(I love motorcycling!)

Comment

For the past couple of years the Sportsman's Guide (they have a website) has been selling French motorcycle overcoats with the leg straps, etc. Don't know if this is your garment, but it well could be. They were definitely advertised as French.

They were selling for about $30. I think they still offer them...

late: yep, they still offer them (photo too), but the price is less as $15.

Info from: www.sportsmansguide.com

French Army Biker's Storm Duster sheds wind and weather.

* Water-resistant 100% cotton canvas
                * 3/4-raglan sleeves cinch tight with straps above your wrists, and a 4" collar folds up
                * Adjustable 1/2" leg straps
                * 5-button front, cotton shoulder / cape lining
                * 1/2" belt is sewn on in back and closes at the waist with "D" rings, 7/8" wide button-down shoulder epaulets, plus a 19" back slit
                * 2 pass-thru pockets
                * Machine washable.
                Condition: brand new, never issued. Made in France. State Size, as available in the Shopping Cart below.

!!! Limited Quantities !!!

New French Army Biker's Storm Duster, O.D.

WX2 - 2345 - New French Army Biker's Storm Duster, O.D.
                Size: Qty:
                $14.97Compare at
                $50.00

Comment

Same Only Different

Those are similiar but not the same. The one I have is definitely earlier. The belts and straps on mine are wider. Also mine is a darker muddier colored green and is a very heavy canvas and is loosely tailored. The shoulders and sleeves fit me perfectly with room enough room to get over my leather jacket plus you could get a couple of my stomachs in this coat (And thats saying alot!) Only cost me a couple dollars more then the one in the catalog. Either way I'm going to use it. Going to get a couple of tan leather straps and roll it up and strap it behind the seat. The next time I get caught in the rain, I'll be ready!.......Thanks for the info!. ....Military Ready Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Working...
                  X