Side car loop replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side car loop replacement

I need some expert advice on replacing the side car loops on an old 48 frame. I would like to go with the ones that have the casting on them. All your ideas will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Creep

I just replaced the loops on a 48 frame my self. I use the ones that V twin sells (not a casting). I managed to clamp the frame to my mill table and use a hole saw to cut the casting on the frame back to the point that I could use the whole loop. I used a bar that fit the ID of the loops to keep them in alignment as I tiged them in place. It came out very nice. Hope this helps. Gordon

Comment

I, too, am in the middle of a replacement,.. not my first.

I gets down to art-carving the commercial replacements to matecasting that has been boggered with wild abandonment. That take more than a little skill and patience. It pushes me over the edge fer sure.

I get my 'blanks' more direct than from V-TWIN, but I bet that makes little difference, but for the $tally.

As GC posted, you must jig them up to be square and spaced properly. I use 5/8" threaded rod with nuts shouldered on the lathe to align the mess.
      Then I used to flame it all,... but now I have a pro who tigs it it to a much stronger bond (I'm told), but cosmetic dressing back to hide the repair sends the costs back up to repop realm.

....Cotten

Comment

Working...
      X