barn fresh preservation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• barn fresh preservation

I have a 1939 knuck that is the next project up. It is barn fresh that I aquired in 1996. I will not get started on it for a few more years. Any suggestions on "how to keep it" (besides locking it up to the bedpost) until I start the restoration??? Thanks

Control Rust

I would suggest keeping all of the metal parts in a temperature controlled environment and away from moisture. Maybe your significant other will let you keep it in the living room. A cool chunk of ferrous metal in a humid conditions will lead to rust in no time. Another suggestion is a light coat of oil on the bare metal parts. It will look ugly but will save them from rusting while they sit. Wax all of the painted parts that you want to keep painted with a good carnuba paste wax. You don't even have to wipe the wax off. Just a suggestion

Jim

Comment

pledge and spray white lith. Quick and easy. Cleaning it up takes the time. Well...this is what I'd do. Wrap it up in plastic cover also.

Comment

Spray everything with Tri-Flow, a "wet" lubricant that leaves an oil film.

Comment

Ya , that tri-flow is good stuff.

Comment

From the boating industry I have learned of a good spray protectant sold in marine stores called "Corrosion Guard"
            This oil based spray semi-dries, and coats metals really well.

Comment

Working...
            X