Favorite Motorcycle Movie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Motorcycle Movie?

Fast Charlie, The Moonbeam Rider. I think thats the title. My wife taped it for me one year and I've watched it many times. It starred David Carridine and Brenda Vaccaro. Carridine plays a returning 'WWI' Vet and starts looking up his old 'Calvery' buddies, who all hate him and thinks he left them to die after a skirmish with the 'Huns'. Well any way they all used to race motorcycles before the war and he wants to get back with them and win the 'Great Continental Motorcycle Race' on his hand built Cycle called 'The Moonbeam'. Lots of great old period bikes racing cross country with some fisticuffs thrown in here and there, the 'Bad' guy race team, whiskey/beer, a woman, a kid, local yocals and full of 'Thrills and Spills'. Some of the camping and bike prepping scenes look like a AMCA meet! I wouldn't doubt if a couple of members were in it. You have to catch it on cable. I believe it was on the 'Lost Drive In Show' hosted by Actor Bruce Dern, on the 'Speed Vision' channel. I looked up David Carridines DVD/VHS movies and it doesn't show it available to buy. It's a light hearted movie you can watch with the wife and kids and you get a kick picking out whats wrong with the 'Period' bikes. Was that a 'WWII' 45 just go past that teens Harley?? Wow! (Hey, I screwed up! This should be under 'Reply' for JIM below)

Old Motorcycle movies

Well, I did not find that movie with David Carradine in it, However, I did find this web site that has a TON of old 50s drag racing movies, SCI FI movies and alot of cycle movies in the listings. Including CODE TWO, THEN CAME BRONSON and alot of other "Campy" biker movies. Check this site out!

http://www.hotrodmemories.com/default.php

Jim

Comment

Old Movie Update

Jim, I've yet to find that movie available for sale. However if you go to this movie site: www.moviegoods.com you will find other oddball movie posters/lobby cards, etc. PLEASE NOTE: THIS SITE IS FOR MOVIE MEMORABILIA. However, it does direct you to different sites for the actual movies if available. If you punch in 'Fast Charlie' or hit 'F', it'll come up with a movie poster and and 4 lobby cards available to buy. These are original. Check it out their pretty cool and cheap. Usually a movie would be released with about 8-10 lobby cards and any number of posters to the movie theaters. If you punch up Evel Knievel it shows the one George Hamilton starred in and a complete set of 10 lobby card set available. I don't know what the cards shows, usually different scenes from the movies, but I'm sure there has to be quite a few with the motorcycle featured in it! These items have always been difficult to obtain and prices are based on condition and availability. AS ALWAYS BE SURE YOUR PAYING FOR ORIGINALS OR REPROS! The site you mentioned was great. ANY OTHER MEMBERS OUT THERE KNOW OF ANY GOOD MOVIE SITES?? I'm watching another old cycle movie right now. Its called 'The Pace That Thrills' 1952 w/Bill Williams. It's been awhile since I seen this one and I'll get back with some info on it later. Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Another Cool Period Motorcycle Movie

So I finished watching the movie 'The Pace That Thrills' starring Bill Williams. Yeah I know, I have a little too much free time on my hands. This is another great little period movie (1952). It stars Bill Williams, (he plays the Marine ex-boxer who lost his legs in that great WWII coming home movie 'Best Years Of Our Lives') Man us Marines are tough... Semper Fi..!! Anyway the movie is filmed in B/W by RKO and the action starts right from the opening credits with some great footage of dirt track racing. Nice period bikes! AJS..Matchless..Harley's and of course there's our hero 'Dusty' on his BMC. That's the fictional 'Barton Motorcycle Corp' to you. Even the made up logo looks real! This movie covers just about all aspects of motorcycling. 'Dusty' quickly goes from the well paid/hot 'in' factory bike racer to the broke/outcast' racing in every motorcycle event that comes along including a stint as a 'Wall of Death' circus performer and jumping thru the 'Burning Ring of Fire'!.. Wow!! There's a couple on-going story lines with the 'Hot' female reporter 'Eve Drake', his best friend and 'Boy Genious Mechanic' Chris who's been working on the 'Fluid Drive' race bike that's going to save the BMC Co..if only he can get it to work..by gosh! There's a lot of great scenes like the AMA style meet...complete with field games, hill climbing, racing...great bikes and period clothing! A great M/C street race with Chris on his 'BMC' badged Indian against Dusty's race bike BMC (both two up with babes)...and the local Cops in hot pursuit on their Harley police bikes...ending in a fun crash/splash in a mud hole..nobody hurt and no helmets needed thank you!..The best!! What makes this film cool is that its filmed in the real time period..everything is current..the bikes, the clothing, and the good attitude towards motorcycling itself. Some things to look for..Check out the field announcer and his portable microphone...isn't that Doc Patt.!?(Yes, I have that 'Harmony' film too!)..the cool motorcycle shop scenes..great racing posters..trophys..and the BIG TOP HEAVY BABE...wholly cow!! Also, look for Superman fame 'Perry White' and this movies 'J.C. Barton' character who played the big shot promotor in those King Kong/Mighty Joe Young movies. You can get this film on VHS thru most movie sites. Hey gotta go its getting early, Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

I'm glad you typed all that in about that movie. I did buy The Pace that Thrills off ebay about 3 months ago. I got it for $9.99. It seemed at that time, no one else wanted it. I was the only bidder. I did like that "portable mic" in the movie. I had bought Evel Knieviel, and CC Rider with both movies on 1 DVD for $5 or $6. Just for fun! It was at a store called Odd Job.

Jim

Comment

A Movie Night at The AMCA Meets?

Jim, wouldn't it be cool if we could view these movies on a large screen format at our AMCA Meets?! I remember back in my Marine Corps days when we were being transferred by ship (Thanks Navy for the great food!! Beat the hell out of those 'C' Rations we ate in the Bush!!( Although I have to admit I miss those little 4 -packs of Camel/Pall-Mall non-filter cigarettes...Hardcore those!!) Anyway, they would show movies after evening chow. The ships used to pass them back and forth between them (mostly Kung-Fu/Karate/Westerns types.) How about it AMCA ..I can see it now, sunsetting, evening sky stars beginning to twinkle, all the members gathered around on makeshift chairs...and click..whrrr...Wow..it's Mickey Rooney in 'The Big Wheel'...Ok so it's not a motorcycle movie, but it's got lot's of open wheel Midget Car racing and by gosh you can even let the kiddies watch! Anyway, maybe we can assemble some kind of video set-up w/portable screen that could be transferred from AMCA meet to AMCA meet. We've got to have some hardcore camera buffs out there! OK fess up.. who was on the 'Audio-Visual Club' in High School?? C'mon you know who you are...Now's your chance to use all that knowledge you were suppose to be learning!...Me..I'm still having problems with Shop Math 101...Is it Lunch period yet??..Later Boys and Girls, Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Working...
            X