Survey Items to Consider Article in Winter Issue 2002

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Survey Items to Consider Article in Winter Issue 2002

Having recently received my copy of the Winter 2002 AMCA Magazine I read with interest the 'Survey Items To Consider' by Richard Ostrander that were recently submitted to the Board of Directors. I would like to share my 2 cents on the Question of 'Antique Age Concerns: Should it be changed to 25 years or older?' This is of special interest to me as I am researching and working on a 1974 Sportster Period Drag Bike (See my ad under 'Wanted' Section of the AMCA Forum). I hesitated about placing this ad as I didn't want to 'break' the 35 Year Rule that some members are adamant about enforcing! However, it seems to me that we are quickly coming upon a period in motorcycling history that is going to make our clubs very name a misnomer. For me, the period where Antique becomes Modern is the advent of 'Disc Brakes'. Not claiming to know a lot, I believe this puts most motorcycle manufacturers somewhere in the Late sixties/Early seventies period. This is followed quickly by Cast Mag wheels, Super high speed rated tire compounds, electric start motors (yikes!) as standard and so on. Not exactly 'Antique' anymore. Now if we were to remain a truly 'Antique' motorcycle club we should set a cut-off date of say '1968'. (I'm sure some people might say 1940's or earlier). If we follow the adding of 1 year per year rule to maintain the '35', we will automatically become a Antique/Classic motorcycle club (hell we're there already). What I'm getting at is, maybe we should encourage the selling, displaying and general historic documentation of motorcycles 10 years younger in age (25 yr Rule) now. This would bring out the bikes/ parts/literature and likely make them available at more reasonable prices then they will be in 10 years. This I think would do more to bring in younger members. Think about it, 35 year Dad is prepping his $18,000.00+ 55' Panhead while his 13 year old son is prepping his $3,500 78' Sportster (or late Norton/BSA etc.) And both get to display them this Year! Anyway, thats my 2 cents today ( If I wait another 10 years I'll probably be 2 cents and a dollar short) Thanks, Hrdly-Dangrs

Great post. Thank you.

Lots to think about - for all members.

Comment

Working...
    X