79 cbx-6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 cbx-6

Hey Andy, I broke down and on request rode a family members newly aquired 79? CBX , 6 cycl. ......and it was fun. Doing a valve job on it, would not be. Tons of raw horse power always makes for an intersting ride. I almost forgot what that felt like. Racing skills kicked in quickly to tame the beast. These bikes have a big following from what I see on the net? They only made them 4 years? Why did Honda stop prod.? Anyone know? Prod. cost to high?

Not an antique, but certainly will be collectable someday....

CBX

Honda did not sell many CBX's, they were the worlds fastest motorcycle for 1 season, then less expensive bikes beat it in the 1/4 mile and handling dept. Many were leftover in warehouses, especially the 1981 and 1982 models which listed for $5500, which was a lotta beans in those days! CBX owners are unanimous when it comes to enthusiasm, that motor feels and sounds SO good to play with!!!!!!
    They are VERY particular to oil, tire and suspension wear, but overall are bulletproof and extremely well-built. I checked my valve clearances recently (all 24 of 'em) and only 1 was out of spec by 1/1000 of a mm.
    All my riding buddies have new Hayabusas, GSXR's, R1's, Ducatis, etc but when we all park at the local cruise spot, the CBX always draws the crowd.

Comment

Just curious, Is your pipe stock- six into one? The one I was on was 3 & 3 after market. Well ...he's sellin it. Wants to to relive his youth on something else. Uhhhh....talk of a gold-thing? Must do my best to stear that direction. A heritage softail would suit him. He's a big boy. Not mechanically inclined.

Comment

Parts for the CBX are readily available- both original Honda and high-performance aftermarket. I installed a new Kerker 6 into 2 last Christmas (gift from my wife!), ran it for 1 year and switched back to stock, guess I'm a purist!
        Maybe YOU should buy or trade for that CBX!

Comment

Nope, not for me. If I'm going ride around on something high preformance I'd prefer a pocket rocket on the track for an afternoon. Great fun with friends. Lots of run out.
          I am thinking of putting on the metal shoe. Never done it. Gotta try everything at least once.

Comment

Working...
          X