JD Ignition points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JD Ignition points

Being as my local dealers no longer stocks points for my 1927 JD I am looking for something that will work. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Chris

ignition points

I convert old style points in knuckleheads all of the time to 70 and later points. All you have to do is line up the points fiber in the original position, mark the pivot hole, drill and counterbore the pivot hole, the mark the screw hold down hole and drill and tap. Set points to factory specs and time accordingly. You will never have to search for points again. As a matter of fact you can go to an auto prts store and ask for a set for a mid 60's 250 cu. in. Chevy 6 cylinder, they are the same. As they say on e-bay...... easy fix.

Good Luck,
    Carl

Comment

Carl's suggestion about using late points in a Knucklehead is appreciated.
      However there is no room for the large points he suggests in a JD timer.

Comment

Ignition points

Go to an auto parts store and find a set of points that are small enough to fit your application, the possibilities are endless. With a little imagination I am sure you can find something suitable. You can also try Harbor Vintage as the stock a lot of early Harley parts.
        Carl

Comment

Hi there,
          So long as you have all the original bits my fix is to source two screw in fixed contacts and use them to repair the originals.The first step is to carefully remove the contact pad from the genuine moving contact arm and drill and tap it so you can screw in your new contact pad. I Loctite the thread and cut the protruding thread at the back off but you can have a locknut on the back if you want as there's enough room for one.
          Then all you have to do is modify the fixed point post to accept your new screw in contact pad. Generally it's a case of easy-flo welding the hole up and then drilling and tapping it to suit the thread of your new contact point. As I have a quantity of Indian 741B contact sets and no Indians I raid the screw in contacts from them but any screw in pad will work. Try and source something that is common so you can easily get more in the future should you need them.
          Lets know how you get on.
          Regards, Tommo

Comment

Tommo,
            I have 3 timers and not one of them has anything in it. They are as bare as Mother Hubbards cupboard.
            Thanks,
            Chris

Comment

Chris,
              I can help you out with the bits you need but really need to know exactly what bits you are missing.
              I have a spare 1927 single timer from which you could transfer the missing parts over to your twin one so long as you have a twin drive gear and twin shaft with the two lobe cam.
              See if you can quote me H.D. part numbers for the bits you need and e-mail me direct. p.j.thomson@actrix.co.nz

Regards, Tommo

Comment

Working...
              X