Steering Head Locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Head Locks

I have a 58 Duo-Glide, but no keys to the steering lock. I've found a new lock, with keys, but can't figure out how to get the old lock and retaining pin out without using dynamite.

lock removal

Ed!
    Usually it is easiest if your triple clamps are stripped, but a jobber-length (extra-long) left-hand drillbit can reach the nub of the original pin. It nearly lays against the headstock to achieve the correct angle.
    This pin (located at about "one-o'clock as you face the lock core) usually is either a snubbed-off screw, or in later years, a roll-pin. I haven't the drill size handy, but I use the one appropriate for tapping to accept a #4-40 set screw as a replacement (3/16" long.)

The real task is to NOT drill into the old core. (Usually they can be re-keyed, and are quite valuable.) I use a common cabinet lock key of the same blank (B3) that I have carved a hook on to insert into the old lock so that I may be able to twist and pull upon it.

Once you have worried it out, it is important to then remove the plunger (and spring) out through the welch plug in the front of the headstock for cleaning and re-greasing. The welchplugs are available at many autostores.

Comment

Thanks for such a quick reply! I'm amazed at the lack of forum participation!

Comment

Working...
      X