grease trails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grease trails

For my friends in Oregon. Little puffs of smoke from many mufflers....Abram and Lewis show how the vast network of trading trails leading east from the pacific carried all sorts of commodities. Ultimately, the trails became identifed with oolichan oil. The "grease trails" were linked to trading trails across the Rockys and through the lands of the Cree and Assiniboine and Algonquin and Iroquois. Crees prefer to use an "r" where an "l" goes in a word. In a nutshell, oolichan became ourichan, which became Oregon.

Ha! So there you go. Now go frighten others with your knowledge.
    Yes, it is a fact.
    0%
    No, he's making it up.
    0%

The poll is expired.

mind if i send a copy of this post to my friend, Cree?
    i believe she'd enjoy it...

Comment

Sure..the "email this to a friend button" located bottom of this pg middle, is a great feature.

Hummmm... how can you tell if a native cree person is slipping there ls' instead of rs'. First Nation meetings must get pretty confusing when elders are speaking native language. Speaking french in rural areas of Quebec can be tricky also. Multiple slang dialects by regional area. Some mixed w/ english.

I wonder how many west coast native words there are for rain??? ie. to descibe it. Must be hundreds.

enough of this pondering, must get back to work. Have a great day! OR a cooling evening ride. Hows the heat out there on east coast? Nasty reports on news.

Comment

Working...
      X