how does it work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how does it work

I would like someone to explane to me from the owners stand point on how the juding works. I would like to have my bike judged but it is all a mystery to me. I know the rules but here are a few things I would like to know.

1) Do you get any kind of sheet telling what is wromg with the bike?
    2) If no sheet is give how do you improve your bike and what are the benifts of getting you bike judged?
    3) Is there any discussion with the judges?
    4) What is the general prosses on my end?

The judging works like this;
    You need to register you bike before Saturday pm the weekend of the meet. Cost is $15. If however you pre-register ahead of time there is no cost. When you get to the meet you pick up your packet. It should consist of a blue folder with the filled out judging sheet also a handlebar tag. You fill out the handlebar tag and have it on the bike on Sunday. The folder is stuffed somewhere on the bike as well. At the time that you pick up your registration packet they will/should verify that your bike runs. Usually they give you a sticker to put on your headlight to signify that it does. On Sunday morning the field will be cordoned off so you need to bring your bike from 8am-9am and put it in the area designated for your year motorcycle.
    At 9am the judges come on the field and all spectators and owners will be asked to stay behind the ropes. If all is on schedule the judging is over between 11-12. Then a brief awards ceremony where the owners names are called, they recieve a trophy and a copy of the judging sheet showing where points were taken off.
    The judges are asked to "hang around" for 20-30 minutes to answer question reguarding how they judged the bike, why they took the points off. You also should have a chance at rebuttal so if you have any documentation with you that is the time to make your case. You need to keep in mind that the judges are unpaid volunteers. They are just as anxious to get home as anyone so if you have an issue to discuss you need to move quickly. Usually the head judges hang around 30-60 minutes but they may not know your bike.
    Another point is that your sheet will reflect what the judges found was wrong and not necessarily ALL the things that are wrong with the bike. Judges are only human and aren't always an expert at every make and model. It is unfortunate when they miss something but if you for instance lose 8 points the first time out then fix 6 of the 8 points you are not guarenteed a 98. It is very likely that a different set of judges may find things previously missed.
    Greg Walter

Comment

thanks for the info

Thank you for the info I feel alot better about it now. I was going into it blind.
      I think they should write an article on judging in THE ANTIQUE MOTOCYCLE for us new comers.

Comment

Just wondering.

Just returned from the Fort Sutter meet in Dixon. It was a fun time,good weather and good people. It was hard though to see so many people who were judging then go up and receive one or more awards. I do not really know all intimate details of how to judge but I just think it looks funny.

Comment

I guess it may look funny to see the judges receive awards. Just remember that a judge is not allowed to judge his own machine so that may make you feel better. Actually in my experience the
          owner often knows things that are wrong that the judges miss.
          Judges will often see things from a different vantage point and will miss things the owner thought was okay. It is usually in the best interest of the owner not to open his mouth. But hey, were all proud of our bikes and want to talk about it. Like when I told the judges I had to remake the seat bracket of my Scout 4 times
          until I could get it right because after 10 years of searching I could not find the correct one (always a bad thing to say!)
          Greg

Comment

Working...
          X