1960 Oil Tank Decals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Oil Tank Decals

I have a question regarding the placement of the FLH decals that go on the '60 Duo Glide oil tank. I can't seem to find out exactly where the go. I've looked at a couple of bikes and they both had them in different locations. One had the decals lined up to be (roughly) in line with the bottom of the tank while the other had them placed at a slant. Both bikes had them different distances from the rear edge of the tank. In short, can anyone tell me the correct location for these decals? Knowing the distance from the back edge of the tank, distance from the bottom edge of the tank, and orientation (straight or slant) would be a very big help.

MWF

decal placement

MWF!
    I attempted to scan from Palmer's "How to" so that you might scale from a known dimension such as the frame members to then place the decal accordingly. It turned out poorly, but I shall post it as an attachment below.

(Nevermind,... I couldn't get the file small enough to be accepted. I'll try to post you direct.)
    Certainly you have the book?!?

The decal is only a hair off of level, so I would imagine there was room for error by the Factory's human hands.
    Otherwise, it seems centered.
    I am in the middle of a '60 myself, and wonder how I will make the decal anything like permanent, since the tank is powdercoated, and I cannot urethane over it. I don't paint with
    anything but a rattlecan, lest my licensing be compromised.

Comment

Re: decal placement

Originally posted by T. Cotten
      MWF!
      I attempted to scan from Palmer's "How to" so that you might scale from a known dimension such as the frame members to then place the decal accordingly. It turned out poorly, but I shall post it as an attachment below.

(Nevermind,... I couldn't get the file small enough to be accepted. I'll try to post you direct.)
      Certainly you have the book?!?

*** I really appreciate your effort on this.

The decal is only a hair off of level, so I would imagine there was room for error by the Factory's human hands.
      Otherwise, it seems centered.
      I am in the middle of a '60 myself, and wonder how I will make the decal anything like permanent, since the tank is powdercoated, and I cannot urethane over it. I don't paint with
      anything but a rattlecan, lest my licensing be compromised.
      *** I'm not planning on putting anything over my decals as I don't think the factory originally did. My tank is painted so there should be no problem with the decal "sticking". By the way, I never had any problem with decals sticking to powder coating.

Again, thanks for your help.

Wayne Fernandez

Comment

I've added some copy to the forums. Re: specs for attachments on the reply pg and in the FAQs.

Sorry... Now you can see when posting a reply that images need to be within the dimentions of 400x300 pixels and or under 50K in file size.

I like images to be viewed "on click" rather than directly embedded in the post as it speeds up viewing/scrolling of the thread.

Give it a go.

Comment

i have a 1960 flh.got 99 points last year.i just lined it up with the middle of the tank.both top to bottom and left to right.nobody ever said "you know your flh decals are a little crooked". don't forget the patent sticker on the front of the oil tank.it says duo-glide.good luck,it's fun...................

Comment

Working...
          X