Hodaka bikes, looking for value and or interested buyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hodaka bikes, looking for value and or interested buyer

I have a 71 ace 100 that doesn't turn over. I think basically a parts bike. Pretty good shape. Also a 75 dirt squirt 100 as well this one has original tins, paint, and seat. It turns over and I hope to make it run before sale. Doesn't have spark. I'm not too familiar with these. I'm in central Ohio and any info is helpful thank you. KIMG1652.jpg3731.jpg3729.jpg

Johnboy! My first new motorcycle was a Hodaka Super Rat, pretty bullet-proof as I abused it a lot and it kept on going in spite of me! Fun motorcycle that was light and fast in the dirt... and I could afford one new! I even raced it but I always ate a lot of dirt from being passed so my racing "career" was limited but fun.

I think they sold quite a few bikes (for a small company) in their day so it seems to me there must be a group of enthusiasts out there with access to manuals and parts? Here's one: http://www.hodakaclub.org/Hodaka_Days
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thank you I appreciate the story and the info. I'm on that blog too. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
        Johnboy! My first new motorcycle was a Hodaka Super Rat, pretty bullet-proof as I abused it a lot and it kept on going in spite of me! Fun motorcycle that was light and fast in the dirt... and I could afford one new! I even raced it but I always ate a lot of dirt from being passed so my racing "career" was limited but fun.

I think they sold quite a few bikes (for a small company) in their day so it seems to me there must be a group of enthusiasts out there with access to manuals and parts? Here's one: http://www.hodakaclub.org/Hodaka_Days
        Used to fly by the Super Rats on my Suzuki TM 100. What fun that 100 class was . The juvenile delinquent class,. We were fast too .Connie Feist was in the 100 class ,a Loretta Lynn winner, So was Mark Barnett a supercross champion

Comment

Originally posted by shermanpup View Post
          Used to fly by the Super Rats on my Suzuki TM 100. What fun that 100 class was .
          Says more about the rider than the bike, right? :-)

Super Rats and Combat Wombats were advertised as race ready right out of the crate, and there's even a story of one dealer/rider who brought a Super Rat to a race in the crate, unpacked it, and proceeded to win all three motos, then sold the bike right there! Even Max Bubeck allegedly rode a Hodaka from LA to Denver and back.

So I bought into the race ready out of the crate advertising, and maybe it was. I wasn't necessarily much of a risk taker (equipment was helmet, goggles, gloves, and boots), but I did beat some people...especially the four stroke riders!
          Last edited by pisten-bully; 05-17-2018, 12:24 PM.
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
            Says more about the rider than the bike, right? :-)

Super Rats and Combat Wombats were advertised as race ready right out of the crate, and there's even a story of one dealer/rider who brought a Super Rat to a race in the crate, unpacked it, and proceeded to win all three motos, then sold the bike right there! Even Max Bubeck allegedly rode a Hodaka from LA to Denver and back.

So I bought into the race ready out of the crate advertising, and maybe it was. I wasn't necessarily much of a risk taker (equipment was helmet, goggles, gloves, and boots), but I did beat some people...especially the four stroke riders!
            Great info pisten - bully . MX in the mid 70's was still expensive for the times , but it was way more affordable than today . The 4 stroke thing changed the sport when it first was introduced and made bikes more expensive, which eliminated the average income Joe from participating as much.I mentioned those riders because I used to race against them . Mark Barnett won the Amature nationals and when he turned 16 he got a factory Honda ride. We actually put up $50.00 to tear down the top end of a kid that was first in points in 100 class in Indiana in 1975. He had a 125 sleeve in the jug of his Yamaha . That was easy to do back then because they used the same cylinder for the 100's and 125's

Comment

Originally posted by shermanpup View Post
              Great info pisten - bully . MX in the mid 70's was still expensive for the times , but it was way more affordable than today . The 4 stroke thing changed the sport when it first was introduced and made bikes more expensive, which eliminated the average income Joe from participating as much.I mentioned those riders because I used to race against them . Mark Barnett won the Amature nationals and when he turned 16 he got a factory Honda ride. We actually put up $50.00 to tear down the top end of a kid that was first in points in 100 class in Indiana in 1975. He had a 125 sleeve in the jug of his Yamaha . That was easy to do back then because they used the same cylinder for the 100's and 125's
              Lots of "tricks" were played with smaller displacement bikes in the '70's especially in the mini "stock" classes. Stroking a "stock"4 stroke was popular, but so obvious when coming out of a corner with a real stock motor. So was modifying the rotary valve on the yamaha mini and Kawaski's.

Comment

Working...
              X