Triumph T5 clutch basket lateral 'play'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triumph T5 clutch basket lateral 'play'

Just wondering how much, if any, lateral (side-to-side) 'play' is typical for a T5 pre-unit clutch basket? Am replacing the clutch plates and noticed there is maybe .060 - .080" +/- of lateral movement with the pressure plate secured. I am a bit afraid to peel up the Locking Tail Washer and attempt to tighten the Hub Nut. Don't want to hurt anything by over-tightening - particularly if there is supposed to be a tiny bit of play. Advice is welcome! Many thanks!

It should have the same amount of lateral movement as any other clutch, in other words none. It sounds like your bearing is goosed.

John

Comment

Not sure if I accurately described the condition. The tiny bit of 'play' is IN & OUT. If sitting in the saddle, Left-to-Right. Does that make more sense?

Comment

Oh ok I get it now. To be honest I don't think my bike has any in that direction either. You should strip it and check everything is correctly assembled and all of the parts are present before doing anything else.

John

Comment

Thanks. Have a couple of real experienced guys here in Daytona - who I'll have come and take a peek. Always good to get a few knowledgeable opinions - before doing anything serious. It's a tiny, tiny amount of 'play' (and all seems to running OK) but with the case off to change the primary drive gear from 19T to 22T, makes sense to look everything over. Thanks again.

Comment

Follow-up question: are the primary gear and clutch basket nuts Left or Right Hand Threads?

Comment

Hi, I am pretty sure that the clutch nuts are right hand thread and I am certain that the camshaft pinion nuts are left hand thread.

Hope this helps.

John

Comment

Many thanks!

Comment

Solved the issue. Pretty simple. The nut on the clutch adjustment side was loose. Didn't have the locking tab/washer. All resolved. Thanks for your input. And drive gear is now changed to 22T. All good.

Comment

Working...
                  X