Hello From Frozen OHIO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello From Frozen OHIO

Hello to my fellow AMCA members and many thanks to those who help to make this organization what it is. I recently purchased a 1929 Harley Davidson JD project bike and am searching for quite a few parts so I'll probably be posting several threads in the parts wanted section. I ordered a set of reproduction tanks and a spare parts book from Replicant Metals. I'd appreciate any tips where to find technical information on J or JD models. I'd also enjoy hearing other members' opinions regarding the pros and cons of clincher vs safety bead tires.

Hopefully next winter I'll be somewhere warm with 2 wheels under me and a breeze in my face instead of shoveling snow and stoking my wood stove.

Best regards- Jim

Jim
    I have lots of JD parts. I'm in NE Ohio.
    PM me.
    Mark
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Welcome to the AMCA, Jim. A '29JD is about the perfect antique motorcycle; not too new, not too old Mark Masa is extremely knowledgeable about J era Harleys and can answer any of your questions. In regards to tires, I am a purist so I prefer clincher tires, but a '29JD looks okay with drop center rims. I've wondered if DC rims were available in late '29; good question for Mark
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
        I've wondered if DC rims were available in late '29; good question for Mark
        I think Indian switched to drop center rims in 1929....so the eternal question becomes who was first?!?
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by MMasa View Post
          Jim
          I have lots of JD parts. I'm in NE Ohio.
          PM me.
          Mark
          Thanks Mark, I sent an email to the address listed on your website so you'll have my address and phone numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
            Welcome to the AMCA, Jim. A '29JD is about the perfect antique motorcycle; not too new, not too old Mark Masa is extremely knowledgeable about J era Harleys and can answer any of your questions. In regards to tires, I am a purist so I prefer clincher tires, but a '29JD looks okay with drop center rims. I've wondered if DC rims were available in late '29; good question for Mark
            Thanks for the warm welcome Eric. My father told me several stories about the JD he owned during the 1930s and I'm thankful to have found a bike that I can build in memorial of Dad.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
              I think Indian switched to drop center rims in 1929....so the eternal question becomes who was first?!?
              Hi Harry, Dad told me while he was still alive that he distinctly remembered his JD having fat tires, so perhaps they did have drop center rims by 1929. He didn't remember the model designation of it being a JD but he described it as being green with the round tool box on the front forks and that it was a 'Harley 74.' He also described it having exposed rocker arms and that it sounded like a 'thrashing machine' when it was running. It had a cutout lever on the muffler he could open with his foot to make more noise. He would retard the spark while decelerating to make it backfire like a shotgun. He told me a story about racing a 1932 Ford V-8 on his way back from Sandusky, Ohio. He said the V-8s had just come out and they were among the fastest cars on the road. He beat the Ford easily even with a passenger riding on the back of his bike.
              Last edited by JC Hixon; 01-06-2018, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X