Auction with a sidecar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auction with a sidecar.

There is a auction coming up this weekend. They have a Harley sidecar. It is just the body. Can't by the photo tell how good of shape it's in. Didn't say the year. How can I tell the year? Will it be marked somewhere? I know it would be hard to value it. With out seeing it. But what would it be worth? Thanks for helping a new guy out.

If you are familiar with HD sidecars they are fairly easily id'ed by spans of years and originally there would have been a small brass tag under the rear of the seat on the tunnel. Jerry

Originally posted by Blarner View Post
    There is a auction coming up this weekend. They have a Harley sidecar. It is just the body. Can't by the photo tell how good of shape it's in. Didn't say the year. How can I tell the year? Will it be marked somewhere? I know it would be hard to value it. With out seeing it. But what would it be worth? Thanks for helping a new guy out.

Comment

The tunnel that goes cross under the seat?

Comment

I'm no expert, but to the best of my knowledge, sidecar tubs had no markings specific to a given year, unless they were one of the rare ones actually manufactured by HD. Most were Abrecht tubs on Goulding frames, and only the frame had a serial number (not a "VIN") to indicate the year of manufacture.

Tubs are identified by shape, presence or absence of doors, and how many side trim pieces are provided for, but even then, you're just getting a year range, rather than a single year. Everything pre 1967 is metal; 67 and later tubs are fiberglass.

Hope that helps. Pretty sure there are a few experts here who can provide more detail.
        Ride it like you can fix it!

Comment

Every Abresch tub attached to a Harley frame had a tiny number tag with a hand-stamped number that matched the number on the frame. on the center of the axle-hump under the seat/ Unless it's been robbed by a souvenir hunter sometime in its life. I've seen these tags screwed on both the top and the front center of axle humps.
          Goulding only made the Litecar, the 45 sidecar, sold through Harley dealers 1929-40, but Harley built the big twin LE and M Package Trucks.
          Gerry Lyons #607
          http://www.37ul.com/
          http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

So what kind of price?

Comment

Working...
            X