21F Clutch Colours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21F Clutch Colours

Can anyone give me a steer on the likely original colours of the clutch drive disk (the front of the clutch with the exposed heads of the spring adjustment screws) and the clutch basket, on my 21F restoration? Olive as per the transmission case, or black? When I cleaned them up it looked as if the disk was once painted black, but that may not have been the original paint. The basket itself was the familiar rust brown.

I know that the clutch will be hidden behind the primary chain cover, but if I'm painting it, I may as well make the effort to get it right.

Hello Mike, I don't know if its definitive but the document that I have from Leon Landry (see post #87 here: http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...-Model-F/page9) states that for 1917 to 1921 the exposed clutch parts are dull nickel plated. Certainly when Bill Healing refurbished my clutch he nickel plated the clutch parts.

Others on here may agree or have a different opinion.

john

Comment

I think you may be right John. On receipt of your post I went out to the shed and had a closer look at the disassembled and rebuilt clutch parts on the bench. Photo attached.

The drive disk looks as if it has the remains of plating on the inside (not visible in the photo) where it has not been rubbed away by years of clutch engagement/disengagement. I can't recall any plating under the rust on the outside face of the disk before I bead blasted and laid a coat of etch primer on it. If it was plated both sides I suspect that this would have happened before the central taper was riveted in place. Am I right?

The triangular actuating plate definitely has the visible remains of nickel plating on it where I have stripped away the primer. (But the photo of the same item in my 17-23 parts books look like it is parkerized compared with the much lighter coloured 15-19 actuating plate. That helped send me down the painting path.)

The original clutch key ring and shell, riveted by me on to one of Mark Masa's fine reproduction sprockets, with a new Competition Distributing roller bearing riveted in to the centre, had no sign of any plating remaining. (It has been bead blasted and given a phosphate-based rust protector inside.)

Any more information will be much appreciated.

21 Clutch 003 (600x800).jpg

Comment

The clutch drive disk, adjuster screws, and spring sectors should be nickel plated based on all the OEM ones that have come through my shop.

Comment

Originally posted by RCamp View Post
          The clutch drive disk, adjuster screws, and spring sectors should be nickel plated based on all the OEM ones that have come through my shop.
          Thank you Ralph, I agree. The screws from my 21 clutch are certainly plated and the spring sectors seem to have the remains of plating on them. If we also all agree that the drive disk was plated both sides, that leaves only two more components: the triangular actuating plate (plated?) and the sides of the clutch basket (or clutch shell as I think it should be termed). Can you recall what the finish was on these if either complete clutches or OEM parts came through your shop?

Comment

The actuating plate and the clutch shell or basket that I have seen appeared to have no plating at all.

Comment

Thanks again Ralph. The actuating plate on my 21 has the remains of plating on it, most obviously on the reverse or inside. Nothing but rust on the clutch basket. I think I have enough info now to make progress. Again, the forum has certainly helped me as an isolated restorer a few thousand miles away from the "mainstream".

Comment

Working...
              X