Rear master cylinder help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear master cylinder help

I have a 1974 FXE that I'm going through to get back on the road.
    Bought an aftermarket rebuild kit for the rear master cylinder.
    After cleaning, blowing out the cylinder and installing the kit, I can't get any fluid to enter the bore of the cylinder.
    Re checked my work, blew out both the large hole and the small hole in the floor of the reservoir and still can't get fluid to
    enter the bore to pump out. I can see light through both holes when I put a light in the bore........

Any ideas would be much appreciated! Please don't hold back, its been years since I last did one of these on a pan.

Thanks,
    Ed

Ed, It's been years since I did one but do remember the frustration. Finally I purchased a old 1950's bleeder ball from a friend. This bleeder ball pressurized the fluid and bled the brake system. Had lots of friends with 70 series shovels stopping by for brake bleeding. The rear master cylinder cap is the same size as my 1948 Plymouth's so I didn't even have to make a adapters as the bleeder ball came with fittings from vintage vehicles. I would try to make a system to pressure bleed the brakes. Low pressure only! Fronts also were a pain .
    Curly

Comment

Thanks Curly! Do you think a bleeder vac would work?

Comment

Have you tried bench bleeding it first?
        Ride 'em. Don't hide 'em.
        Dan #6938 FUBO

Comment

Dan,
          I have tried to do this without success. I assembled the MC with the new kit, filled with fluid and pumped the piston by hand with a drift.
          I can't get fluid to enter the bore to bleed it before attaching the brake line. Any advice is appreciated.
          Ed

Comment

Put your finger over the output hole pump it, release finger with master cyl plunger in..repeat

Comment

Check to see that the plunger is returning all the way back to the washer and retainer clip. Some rebuild kits include a thick felt washer, if installed it will not let the plunger travel back far enough to allow fluid into the cylinder.
              Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Ill try these ideas tomorrow when I get home. Will report results

Comment

from Easter til -23-16 068.jpgI will attempt posting a pic of the diagram in the pan/shovel manual. If you installed item #12, remove it. It is for drum brakes only. Make sure the concave of the cup is facing in. And as Kyle stated, the felt should not be used. There should be a rubber coated steel washer there which is #7.
                  Ride 'em. Don't hide 'em.
                  Dan #6938 FUBO

Comment

I recently had same problem on1976 shovel cylinder. Like earlier noted. Place finger over output hole (where brake line connects) and pump. When releasing plunger, hold finger on output hole, when pushing in on plunger, release finger from hole. Only takes 3 or 4 pumps.

Comment

Working...
                    X