1910 photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1910 photos

Came across these while searching 1910 Motorcycle Illustrated magazines. Thought they were kind of cool. Roads in Iowa in 1910 and a winter scene.

Dick
    Attached Files

I like those, thanks for posting Dick!
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I think you got something started Dick. I love the pictures from early MC trade magazines.

Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

I hope so Eric. I have to thank Rich again for providing the link to the Motorcycle Illustrated archive. I'm starting on 1911 today. I have already found more Perry Mack related information. And for anybody that lives on the East Coast this magazine is a treasure trove. It was printed originally in New York and moved north around 1912. I believe the move was caused by a printer strike. So far the magazine is heavily biased towards East Coast manufactures and events but that is slowly changing. Every time I open the archive it's like being a kid on Christmas morning not knowing what I'm going to find.

Dick

Comment

Those magazines, and the pictures make this hobby come alive. For instance, the Excelsior in the last picture; obviously that guy is a poser as the snow is not melted around the engine.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Here's a bunch more. I thought the horse ad very telling. I didn't know that they washed the board tracks once a week but it sure makes sense. They were racing
            motorcycle that were all total loss oiling systems. In the crash photo the one guy is still tumbling and his bike is flying through the air. Can you imagine being the poor guy sliding face first. I've crashed plenty of times but never on my gut.

Dick
            Attached Files

Comment

We bitch, and moan about the internal combustion engine and it's effect on the environment, but the automobile, motorcycle, and tractor saved millions of horses, and oxen from a life of misery, abuse, and drudgery. Not everyone was nice to their animals. And, don't forget all the farting, and pooping they did. I've read about how nasty, big cities like London, New York, and Paris were in the 19th century.

I believe it was in a Stephen Wright book that I read about a motorcycle racer that went off track (or was pushed off) at a mid-Western horse track. There was so much dust that no one knew he was missing, until someone found his body long after the race. The thought of that poor guy, injured, and laying in the weeds, at a hot summer race brought home how dangerous that sport could be, and how many racers died chasing those minimal prizes. Thanks for all your hard work Mr. Wright....R.I.P.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Bowl photo 6-27-1912
                8-1-1909 list of known worldwide motorcycle manufacturers. 257!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And they left out some.
                Article about doping gasoline. Nothing new!
                Patriot ad from 06-27-1912. Someone thought of this advertising angle a long time ago.
                Pigs is Pigs 05-24-1912 Thought this pretty unusual. Must have been a saying back in the day.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X