1917 Lower Engine brackets (rings)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1917 Lower Engine brackets (rings)

I've been asking questions about the Harley 1917 engine upper brackets - now I have a question about the lower brackets (rings). I've have a set of these rings which are "split" and I assume are to be heat then separated then wrapped around the frame and closed then brazed to the frame. I've also seen these brackets with a solid tab and ring which I assume you'd have to cut the frame to slid on then reweld the frame.
    my questions is twofold - first, which is the correct bracket and second, does the engine tab go in between each side of the "split" bracket i.e the middle of them or the two sides are "sandwiched" to one side then the engine tab to the other ?? I've seen pictures of both ways,
    thanks
    Dan

Dan
    The split bracket is more correct as that's how they were originally made. The bracket is spread apart, slipped over onto the tube and then pinched back together. There are a number of caveats here.
    You will notice on the stamped and folded brackets that you have that the tab is offset to one side. As a result, it matters how it is oriented when you slip it onto the tube. When it is pinched back tight, one SIDE of the tab will be centered with the frame tube and NOT the center of the tab. Off the top of my head I can't remember which direction its offset to but I think that it's to the right. Before it is permanently affixed to the tube, efforts have to be made to assure that it is in the proper location and orientation. The empty engine cases and cylinders can be used for this but it is not simple. If the cases and cylinders are all bolted together, the assembly can be used as a sort of gage to locate all of the engine mounts. Are ANY of them still there or are all four missing? Having one would be nice so you have a starting point but it is what it is.
    Mark
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Mark is correct Dan; the motor goes into the frame from the left side, so looking down on the lower brackets, they would be off-set to the RIGHT.

As Mark said, getting those brackets correctly located is going to be both hard, and time consuming. You have some wiggle room with the top cylinder brackets, but the bottom brackets have to be precisely located. Obviously, the motor itself is going to be the best gauge for setting the bracket locations.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
      X