vintage BMW service and roestore work needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vintage BMW service and roestore work needed

Hello am posting this for a friend. He has a 1972 BMW R65-5 that he wants to put back on the road. He bought it in with 2000 mi. on it when he got it back in 99. Road it very little had has parked not long after buying it. Bike needs full service front to back. Anyone in or around Wisconsin that is qualified to work on this bike if not in this area that's OK to. Any info. I know he would appreciate it very much. Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

If you are near Madison, try the Blue Moon Tavern on University Ave. Tues. nights and ask the 'Slimey Crud Motorcycle Club' members who they suggest.

Comment

Since there was no such model as an R65 in '72 he may have a bit of trouble....
      Lots of good vintage BMW guys out there in the world. Has he joined the Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners? Or the Airheads? Both are great resources for /5,6,7 riders.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks for the reply Robbie. I don't think he belongs to any group. I will pass your info. onto him. I will ask him again what he's got.

Comment

Originally posted by john fretschl View Post
          I will ask him again what he's got.
          It's probably an R60/5 if the numbers you said before were close
          1914 P&M
          1915 Indian (project)
          1930 M50 Panther
          1958 M35sport Panther

Comment

In our paper this morning:

Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Yes, that is for an R65, which started production in '78 and has no relationship to a bike built in '72. It is a different engine altogether and shares common bits with the R45, one of the least loved BMWs ever....

Member,
              BMWMOA,
              BMWRA,
              Vintage BMW Motorcycle owners
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Ned's Auto & Cycle in Riverside Iowa is a former BMW dealer with loads of experience--they were one of the top BMW sales in the country in a tiny town--3 blocks from my shop-Jim Figgins owner

Comment

Does he just want the bike put back on the road or is he looking to get it fully restored? Putting an R60/5 back on the road is usually pretty easy, they are really hard to kill. Doing a full restoration would prove to be quite expensive but also quite do-able.

Too bad your friend lives so far away, I might be interested in taking the job on as most of my mechanical BMW training occurred in the 1970s. If he ever goes through Colorado, have him get in contact with me. I'm no longer associated with any BMW repair facilities but will take on such work from time to time. Most dealerships don't like to work on the older bikes as they don't fit the newer BMW mold.

Comment

Working...
                  X