Rear hub assembly help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear hub assembly help!

I am attempting to reassemble my rear hub, but am having some trouble. My first question is does it matter which way the roller bearing retainer is installed on the bearing sleeve? (Is the picture I posted correct?)

How do you check the end play of the hub? Book calls for .005"-.010". Does the hub need to be fully assemble and bolted in the frame to take this measurement?

Every time I assemble the hub and tighten the lock nut (part #1) the entire hub just seems to lock up.

Thanks for any help you may be able to share
    Mike
    Attached Files

Mike
    It does matter which way the cages face and yes, you have them facing the correct direction.
    The end play is set by adding or removing the brass washers (# 2) in the diagram. The hub does not have to be installed in the frame to check the end play but it's best to fit the shims and determine proper thickness before adding 7,8 and 9 as these tighten the whole assembly up.
    Mark
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Mike- as Mark said, leave out the felts, and even clean out the grease and put in dry or just wd-40 type lube and you can better feel the end play. It will become more obvious how those brass washers set the end play. Also, you will have a chance to set the roller diameters to get "just shake", not too tight or too loose.

If you find you need washers drop me a line, I might have some left over. But you can make them pretty easily too....

Dan
      Dan Margolien
      Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
      Www.yankeechapter.org
      Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

So just to confirm I need to remove shims to tighten up the clearance? This seems backwards.

What's the best way to measure the end play?

It still seems like when I tighten the lock nut the entire hub locks up. Then when I try to force the hub to rotate it just loosens the lock nut.

Also is this longer nut used with this hub? If so, where?
        Attached Files

Comment

The longer nut is used on 1925-1929 axles. What year are you working on? It goes on the sprocket side.
          Mark
          Mark Masa
          www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Ok I got the hub mostly figured out! Turns out I wasn't using enough shims, so when I tightened the lock nut it would squeeze the whole assembly and lock it tight. Made a new shims and got it squared away.

Mark, the hub is a 26' so it is suppose to have the longer nut but I don't see how it is going to fit (see pic) am I missing something?

Mike
            Attached Files

Comment

It goes on instead of the thin nut and not in addition to it. Also, the rear stays on your frame may be slightly sprung inward. You should be able to pull them apart by hand enough for the axle with the nut to slip in.
              Mark
              Mark Masa
              www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Working...
              X