Best Tire Changing Tools for Painted Rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Tire Changing Tools for Painted Rims

Not sure this is the correct place to post this, but didn't find any related posts elsewhere. What are the best tools for mounting/changing tires without damaging painted rims? Are tire spoons and rim guards the way to go? If so, any recommendations? How about the Nomar tire changing machine? I am working on 18" and 16" drop center rims. Thanks

Shane

I'm cheap, and I don't change tires on a regular basis so I use tire irons, and strips of leather to protect the rim from marring, and also do all of this on a heavy furniture blanket on the ground. I also work as much of the tire on by hand before resorting to the irons. I also use soapy water to lubricate the tire. New tires go on quite well, and time in the sun makes them softer. If you do have a bike shop use a machine; make sure the operator is experienced.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I'm cheap too and leather is not, so in place of the leather strips to protect the rim, try strips cut from a plastic gallon milk jug. I don't remember who put me on to this but they work great, it seems the more pressure you put on them the slicker they get.

Comment

I change tires pretty often for friends, I use a coats 220 manual changer, it has protectors plus you can add additional protection with tape. I have never damaged or scratched a rim, thanks, Larry

Comment

I take mine to local Harley dealer who charges practically nothing to put on a tube/tire. They have the changers (and people) who protect chrome rims... powdercoated rims... painted rims... They don't scratch rims. I think I pay $25 for mounting a tire/tube I bring in. A bargain since I hate changing tires and am a pro at pinching/cutting tubes. Roadside is a different matter. Then I'm less concerned about paint... more concerned with getting back on the road.

Wrapping spoons in duct tape can also help. Last, get a pair of Dunlop Motorcycle Tire spoons from the 1930's. On eBay all the time for cheap. Those things work great!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

You can purchase rim protectors that fit over the bead. I may have got them from a HD dealer I have seen them in current accessory catalogs. On chrome rims I use aluminum irons that do not scratch. Made from 2024 T3 or T4 aluminum bar 1/4 by 3/4 about 12 inches long. You can buy the bar stock from McMaster Carr.
            Jim D.
            Jim D

Comment

I use the No-Mar brand tire changer made in Fenton, MO.
              Due to its popularity, manufacturing is also opening in Australia.
              See the many videos online.

Its bolted to the concrete floor of my shop. But it is also available configured for hitch mounting for tire changing on-location such as at races.

The high-density polymer-tipped spoons and other tools work well and safely on painted rims.

However, for two 5 in. 6 ply MC tires on chrome rims and two 4.5 4 ply tires on painted rims I have, the walls were too stiff and/or the opening too small to get the featured "mount/demount bar" in there.

So the tires were removed and new ones installed using only the polymer-tipped spoon bars.

The rim clamping table works well and it alone with the special spoons make a great combination.

I changed 4 large tubeless ATV tires using the "mount/demount bar" - a leveraging tool - and that worked great. I can see based on these tires that changing car and truck tires would be an easy one person job.

Bob
              RGL
              Ohio
              Indians

Comment

Working...
              X