Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 27 J manifold removal

Hi
    I am stripping the engine on my 27 J. I have the engine out and on a stand. I have loosened the cylinder base nuts but not removed them.
    I have loosened the manifold nuts and also the nipples so the entire manifold and securing mechanism is moving.
    I cannot get the manifold off the cylinders though. If I attempt to unscrew the nipples out of the cylinder they jam up on the brass seal that sits around the manifold before the thread is clear of the cylinder. The seals are jammed tight on each side.
    Currently the only way I can see to get the manifold off is to try and cut off one of the brass seals which I am loath to do but this would allow me to unscrew the nipple far enough to withdraw it from the cylinder intake housing
    I have no idea whether the manifold is the correct one for this bike. I am sure that I am not the first to take it apart not least because the crankcase is secured with a selection of nylock nuts
    That said it looks right by reference to the parts manual
    I would be grateful for any suggestions on what to do here
    Thanks
    Martin

The nipples should not be removed to remve the intake manifold. And don't cut anything. Remove all 8 cyl base nuts and raise cylinders to remove. You may have to unscrew the manifold packing nuts completely.

Comment

Martin!

Did you try screwing the nipples all the way back in?
      I believe the manifold itself should then be removeable, although crimped-on brass seals would make it difficult, perhaps requiring discipline from a wooden mallet to push them farther upon their spigots.

I would snip off a brass seal in a heartbeat, in favor of PEEK.
      Be enormously careful not to blemish the manifold spigot, however!
      If it is pitted, it should be re-cut anyway.
      And snipping the seals behind the nipples may also give some room, since those are available too.

(If it is re-plated, it may well already be ruined.)

.....Cotten
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-02-2015, 04:06 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

If it was assembled with whole parts, then why would you have to cut and snip things to disassemble? The manifold ends are in the cylinder
        nipples. To gain space lift the cylinders.

Comment

Working...
        X