Wheel chrome repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel chrome repair

I need to know who can repair the rust on my front wheel of my 1968 FLH. I see that the wheel is chrome, but where the spokes are laced it is not chrome.

If they are genuine Kelsy-Hayes wheels they are fully chromed. The spoke area you are talking about is always a rough finish on K-H wheels and may look different than the polished surfaces. Regardless, chrome cannot be touched up, other than with paint. To bring the wheels back to original finish requires stripping all plating from the steel rim, re-polishing, and then re-plating. Needless to say, that is very expensive.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks Eric, i appreciate it. Sounds like the best thing i can do is buy a used one in better condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Vintage ride View Post
        Sounds like the best thing i can do is buy a used one in better condition.
        ... and maybe because you'd have to un-lace the hub from the rim for re-chroming anyway!
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by Vintage ride View Post
          Thanks Eric, i appreciate it. Sounds like the best thing i can do is buy a used one in better condition.
          You might want to try 000 steel wool on the rims, followed by chrome polish. You will be amazed by how much rust, and staining the steel wool will remove.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
          X