Clearance oil pump bushing, 1947 fl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearance oil pump bushing, 1947 fl

I am replacing the oil pump bushing in my 1947 FL. Oil pump shaft is .422". Cannot find any shaft to bushing clearance information for the 1947, but the 1970-1978 service manual indicates a clearance of .0008 - .0012 for the oil pump shaft bushing on those years, unless I'm reading it wrong. I believe the 1970-1978 FLs use the same bushing as the 1947, but am not positive. So, if I ream the bushing to .423 I would be in the ball park?

Anyone out there who can help me with this?

Thank you.

Bob

That would be fine. You might run a ball hone through it after to get your final clearance and create oil retention, but clean it thoroughly with a guide brush afterwards.

General rule of thumb is .003" clearance per 1" diameter, but .001" would be as tight as I'd make it.

Comment

Originally posted by knuckleheadtim View Post
      That would be fine. You might run a ball hone through it after to get your final clearance and create oil retention, but clean it thoroughly with a guide brush afterwards.

General rule of thumb is .003" clearance per 1" diameter, but .001" would be as tight as I'd make it.
      Thank you. Will go with .001.

Bob

Comment

Working...
      X