Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions from a new guy about Wauseon...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions from a new guy about Wauseon...

I am hoping to do Wauseon this year for the 1st time. I know the event is from Friday til Sunday, but can a guy get in on Thursday, like Davenport, IA? What's available for camping/hotels, etc? I've done Davenport every year for quite a while so I know the routine there. Everyone keeps telling me to do Wauseon. It's about 5 hours from me, so I want at least some idea what to expect. Yeah, I know it's 7 months away, but I have to put in for my vacation days for the whole year in January.

THANKS GUYS!

DD

Plan ahead to beat the heat. D-port has had it too, but Wauseon was dangerous for me because I was in a back brace. We'd brought a utility 3-wheeler and twice I had one of the buddies drop me off in the middle of the vending areas, but had to call for a rescue-taxi after an hour or two of shopping; I could have been a casualty. A bucket of ice water and a wet towel went a long ways towards salvaging what otherwise might have been a lot of misery. Thx to the hosts for having plenty of ice!

Another kudos for the hosts: There seems to be plenty of electrical panels (south camping areas anyway), and if I return I'll have a small camper with AC, to cool off when I need to. And that camper will save you a motel/hotel fee. Get your reservations in advance for those hotels, and try to stay on the ground floor, the stairways aren't cooled, and any vacant rooms will take hours to cool down to 80.

also, try to be in good health and physical condition, ...... then enjoy the heck out of it! don't miss the races.

Comment

I remember the heat at Davenport 2 years ago was over 100 both days I was there. I think I drank more Gatorade than beer! Usually big fat guys don't like hot weather, but I love it. 100 plus, though, was a bit much. Thanks for the info. Any more guys out there got any Wauseon tips??

THANKS!

DD

Comment

You can get in on Thursday if you are a vendor but I'm not sure how easy it is ad a spectator as I've always vended. Sometimes it's hot there, but it's rarely as totaly miserable as Davenport.
        Mark
        Mark Masa
        www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Wauseon has lots of shade and great people

Comment

Originally posted by Double D View Post
            I remember the heat at Davenport 2 years ago was over 100 both days I was there. I think I drank more Gatorade than beer! Usually big fat guys don't like hot weather, but I love it. 100 plus, though, was a bit much. Thanks for the info. Any more guys out there got any Wauseon tips??
            The weather is just what it is that year, I found it to be quite pleasant most years around 80 degrees, but by July Texas in near 100 every day. Some years we had afternoon thunderstorms, but most of years I vended there it was the most laid back, friendly, Family oriented swap meet with lots of parts, Good people that put it on every year know what they are doing, cool nights for sleeping, and I do not want to forget the great ice cream!!!.

I would highly recommend Wauseon to anyone within driving distance, lots of bargains so bring extra cash. Shelby

Comment

I don't vend there, so I stay at Swanton, near the airport. Just a short distance from there to the meet. Around 15 miles? I get to meet at 8 or 9 in the morning Friday and Saturday, and typically stay all day. Yes, the races are a can't miss, and Wauseon is worth the 10 hour drive even if I don't buy anything! Randy

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. I put in my vacation request for those days off. I won't know until February if I get the days I wanted, but it looks pretty good. I'm high on the seniority list, so I think it should be a go. I am sure I will be asking for A LOT more details as the meet approaches.

Thanks again!!

DD

Comment

I have done both for years and even though Wauseon is farther from home (I drive right past Davenport to get to Wauseon) I enjoy it more......better camping better amenities better races better everything......Davenport seems to be going downhill while Wauseon is getting better......do not know if it because of the disassociation / no AMCA thing but IMHO I would skip Davenport if I could only do one.......but hey if you are not doing anything in Febuary come to Fremont we have a great time and you do not have to worry about the heat!
                  Jarl Rue
                  Omaha Chapter
                  38ULH
                  62FL, 68FLH

Comment

Working...
                  X