19" wheel rim 1930 Chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19" wheel rim 1930 Chief

I've got all the front wheel parts now except for the rim. Anybody have a lead on a 19" by 3.5 (or close) 40 hole (light spoke) rim for a Chief or another bike with similar rim? Thanks. Chasing after these parts is more fun than a barrel of people! -Mike

morn n, i,ll need to check it for true and condition. whats its worth if usable? and you may check with Kent Thompson in N.H. gary
    gww57.com

Comment

Thanks, gww- If you think you have a rim or wheel for a 19" tire, I'd sure like to buy it from you. Would you mind emailing me at covey534@hot.rr.com -Kent has been a great help to me. Thanks. -Mike

Comment

gww- Did you ever locate that Indian front rim? I sure need it. Thanks -Mike McMains

Comment

sent a mail
          gww57.com

Comment

Originally posted by Covey534 View Post
            gww- Did you ever locate that Indian front rim? I sure need it. Thanks -Mike McMains
            There is a nos wheel from from bobsindiansales on ebay.
            Tom

Comment

Mike,

I looked at the rim on ebay, it looks like a rear rim and has the larger spoke nipple holes which makes it 31 only, steep price too. You need a 1 year only rim, front 19" with the small spokes and nipples. 31 was 1 year also, 19" with larger spokes and nipples.

You can look at Replicant metals. They make a nice rim for the VL in 19": http://www.replicantmetals.com/slide...-30/index.html.
              The only issue is the angle of the spoke holes. The VL rims are laced to a small hub, like your chief rear wheel so all the spoke angles are the same. The front rim you need has the nipple holes on one side at a very steep angle because the rim is laced to the small front hub flange on one side and the larger brake hub flange on the other. Tom Pribyl used the Replicant rims on his 30 chief and they worked, not sure if he reworked the holes or if there was enough room in them to fit at the steep angle.

How are you doing on the rest of the 30 chief? I love the early chiefs, have a 24 w/ sidecar, featured in Hatfields books and a 31 project, 25 years in the collecting!
              Gene

Comment

I just want to say thanks again to all the responses to my search for parts. This alone makes membership in the AMCA vital to the preservation of these machines (works of art, to me). Because of the great help here, I'm really doing well in finding the many parts I need. The prices of parts can be quite breath-taking, but knowing that, in the end, the value of the "motocycle" will have a greater return than chasing a little white ball around a golf course or watching "reality" shows on TV.
                I'm not sure if I can do it through this forum, Gene, but if I could contact Tom Pribyl to find out his experiences with the Replicant rims, it may provide a solution. Any help there would be appreciated. -Mike

Comment

Gene- Got a question. I'll send you a PM. -Mike

Comment

Got my rims! This project has a long way to go, but a major milestone for me is getting wheels attached to the frame. Then it will look like a motorcycle. After all, at my age I'll look at it more than ride it, anyway. Hey, to me it's art. That's OK, isn't it?
                    This fun journey is made possible due to the outstanding assistance I've gotten from folks on this great forum. Thanks again to all of you! -Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X