Flxi sidecar help- needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flxi sidecar help- needed

I've attached some photos of a left hand mounting Flxi sidecar chassis I was able to purchase about 10 days ago.
    As far as we know this is the only Flxi sidecar in NZ.
    It is obviously missing some parts and as I'm going back to the shed it came from next Saturday I'd like some idea what the bits I'm missing look like.
    Both front and rear spring perches and U bolts are missing along with all the mounting hardware for the chassis to the motorcycle frame.
    Does anybody have any good photos of these pieces or even a sales brochure they are willing to copy for me.
    The latest patent date on it is 1917 so I persume it must be 1917 or later.
    Halfway along the chassis rail that runs parallel with the motorcycle is a casting that is the same as the spring mount ones. What is this casting for?
    The box in the 4th photo contains bits that came with the chassis but other than the one in the top right corner all the other bits are from English sidecars.
    The mount in the top right corner is a collet type attachhment that grips an 1" 1/8 bar and fits very nicely around a J model Harley front downtube.
    Is this a Flxi front mount for a Harley?
    Any help would be greatfully appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Other than photos in modern publications these three attachments is the sum total of information I have on Flxi sidecars.
    The Arrow is obviously not a leaning type and I've just put it up to show what is apparently the last style of sidecar produced by them.
    Attached Files
    A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Peter, try Gene Harper. He recently finished a Flxi for his 1919 Excelsior and has done a wealth of research, and experiments to make it work right. From what I gather; getting a Flxi to work right is quite an ordeal.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Here's the link to Gene's post:
        http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...e-FLXI-sidecar
        Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Peter,

Greetings from Colorado! Looks like you have a start in a FLXI project, hang on ,it's a wild ride!

First off, check out the past thread here: http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...highlight=flxi

Looks to me like the chassis is about 1916- 1919 vintage. I say this because of the the small diameter spring tube. In 20 , the spring tube was much larger and they used 2 conical shaped springs rather than the straight O.D springs of earlier rigs. I would say the rear springs are not correct at all, should be a C shape on the rear. The front spring sits on a small wooden spacer, then clamped with U bolts to a heavy steel plate which is U bolted to the front lug on the cross tube. I may have a few of these parts extra. The lug you asked about on the frame tube parallel to the bike is for a 3rd brace. All FLXIS, even the full FLXI were equipped with a 3rd brace. The full FLXI model had a quick disconnect pin and storage clip for the brace when "FLXING" if you will. After riding mine, I can see why! I don't have these parts but plan to make them before I attempt much more in the way of full FLXI riding! None of the mounts look like FLXI mounts to me.

I'll attach a few pictures of the spring perch and some details of the knuckle fitings. In another post, I'll attach a few scanned pages from the FLXI parts book, showing the smaller frame tube and mounts so you at least know what you're looking for tomorrow!

Great project and Good Luck!

Gene Harper

IMG_0332.jpgIMG_0333.jpgIMG_0323.jpgIMG_0328.jpg
          Attached Files

Comment

More scanned images from the FLXI parts book, but not the whole thing, too many pages to post!

Gene
            Attached Files

Comment

Gene,
              Thank-you very much. That's exactly what I needed.
              Any chance of e-mailing the attachments to me as when I tried to download them they were so small I couldn't read the text or see any detail in the pictures.
              I want to be able to print the info off and take it to show the gentleman concerned that certain bits he still has does belong to the Flxi
              I would be very grateful if you could do that. My e-mail is p.j.thomson@actrix.co.nz
              After seeing your photos I'm sure the mudguard is in the roof of the shed but was told that it was for something else and not available.
              Your photos will prove that it is the correct mudguard and may allow me to liberate it.
              I'm in your debt.
              Regards Tommo
              A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

you can also check eric's website he has a left hand flxi.
                http://harley8valves.wordpress.com/2...sidecar-frame/
                rob ronky #10507
                www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Tommo:

Not to hijack... but did you get paid for that Triumph hub??? If not, I will take care of it. I don't like leaving people hanging. Let me know and I'll PP you. The guy who owns the bike is great about paying for stuff. But had an accident last year and a lot of stuff has slipped his mind. I will take care of you, even if I have to do it out of my own pocket.

Let me know... here or PM.

Cheers,

Pierce

Comment

Thanks must go to Gene Harper for all his help and information supplied which has resulted in a return journey to the shed where the Flxi sidecar chassis came from and has yielded the mudguatd support spiders with one brace attached and a sidecar hub that may or may not be Flxi.
                    I've attached some photos and comments on the hub would be welcomed.
                    There is the number 263 stamped into the outer surface of the inner bearing register.
                    Attached Files
                    A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Peter,

Good find! That is definitely a FLXI fender spider, maybe even for an Excelsior. Flxi built rigid sidecars for X up until 1920 and they all had that extra curved reinforcement on the spider. I've bot seen that on other bikes. The fender cross section is almost the same as 18-19 Henderson and someone in N.Z. or Australia was rolling them. I bought one a few years back on Ebay. Unfortunately, I don't know who that was.

Not so sure about the hub..... Looks like a start on a repo hub. Enlarge the cross sectional drawing in the parts book and you can see what you're after.

Any pictures of the body? Any other goodies found in the old barn?

Gene

Comment

Gene,
                        The shed is a treasure trove but the elderly gentleman doesn't like you taking photos.
                        He has allowed me to take shots of a few individual parts but as they are taken in haste they are not the best quality.
                        There's a nice 100mph Corbin with it's maximum hand missing, several complete Schebler model H carbs, a 1920 J model Harley that's a runner, a 1942 slat grill Willys Jeep, a 1912/13 Humber motorcycle engine that's complete with carb and mag, a 1912/13/14 Rover motorcycle engine, a c1910 FN single 2 speed gearbox and drive shaft and the list goes on.
                        We've only really scratched the surface so far and the owner is reluctant to sell stuff so it's going to be a bit at a time sort of thing. Many visits and hopefully all the bits of the Flxi will turn up but I don't think there will be a body.
                        Ás well as the Flxi I've got two 1918 J model gearboxes, a 1920 J model gearbox, a set of 1919 J model crankcases that have a corrosion hole in them but will be very easily welded up and some Powerplus gearbox bits.
                        I'll attach some photos that will give you some idea of the place. You have to shift stuff to find a place for your feet when you move in any direction
                        Attached Files
                        A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Working...
                        X