new old guy from Mid Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new old guy from Mid Michigan

Pleasant Lake to be exact, near Jackson.

Originally posted by ironhead View Post
    Pleasant Lake to be exact, near Jackson.
    You've got spring yet? If so, what're you riding? Welcome to the forum!
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Welcome to the public square of the World of American Antique Motorcycling, Ironhead!
      I must first warn you that anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of loosely acquainted old farts, who-have-pretty-much-everything-to-do with (old) American motorcycles. And we're spread all the way around the world, Ironhead. As you've already noticed, it's a marvelous resource where you can ask any question, and you can be sure that someone, or many, will try to help you out in any way that they can.

We used to pull sedans and station wagons with extra parts to National Meets and really swap them!
      Since the founding of the club in 1954 the camaraderie has carried on, since days the price of gas was 19.9¢ a gallon, criss-crossing this country, and recently overseas, keeping the club alive. Proud to'ave just been a little part of it.

In my over 40-plus years a member of the AMCA, I have seen individual club members bend over backwards, "Here. Do you want this? Take it. I'll never use it." This, over a thousand-dollar part; because the giver knew it was exactly the part for some obscure model old bike that the receiver was building. And there wasn't another, maybe anywhere. The gifting that goes on is healthy for the hobby. Besides, we're all getting older, and we'll never finish all of the projects we've started.

Start thinking about giving it away. Everybody faces it: a pile of parts, one bike, a garage full of old motorcycles, and lately the TV crews come to film the barn unloading, the prepping for the auction. Pity. Don't die without a plan, all neat and legal, for the disposition your stuff. Utter mayhem is what I've seen, mostly, after the passing of so many great men who thought they were immortal. That they were going to live forever. Their life's works were scattered and their names forgotten by all but a few,. The bikes we caretake will be immortal. We're just a bag of blood & bones, and our destiny is set.
      Hey, I digress. Welcome to the club, Ironhead!
      Last edited by Sargehere; 04-24-2014, 12:16 AM. Reason: gramur
      Gerry Lyons #607
      http://www.37ul.com/
      http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

77 FLH, a 70 XLCH (hardtail) and a 97 Road King...and whatever other old bike floats in and out of my life, I do all my own wrenching...Brit, Jap...American...I love them all!...and Spring is finally here I think.... It was a great year for snowmobiling.

Comment

XLCH eh? How's that kicker leg? Welcome to forum!
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Welcome to the forum Ironhead, gee Sarge maybe a little deep for a greeting?
            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by Sargehere View Post
              Start thinking about giving it away. Everybody faces it: a pile of parts, one bike, a garage full of old motorcycles, and lately the TV crews come to film the barn unloading, the prepping for the auction. Pity. Don't die without a plan, all neat and legal, for the disposition your stuff. Utter mayhem is what I've seen, mostly, after the passing of so many great men who thought they were immortal. That they were going to live forever. Their life's works were scattered and their names forgotten by all but a few,. The bikes we caretake will be immortal. We're just a bag of blood & bones, and our destiny is set.
              Geez Sarge, sounding a bit moribund there! Hope your physical plant just didn't take a bad hit and that's why you're bumming us out....really, hope you're well! I'm serious about that. On the other hand, my twenty-something youngest says "YOLO" a lot ( You Only Live Once = YOLO) so I've been ramping up my feelings of abandonment...caution to the wind sort of thing!

And, you early AMCA guys...way to go and thanks!
              Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by Originally Posted by Sargehere
                Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
                Geez Sarge, sounding a bit moribund there! Hope your physical plant just didn't take a bad hit and that's why you're bumming us out....really, hope you're well! I'm serious about that. On the other hand, my twenty-something youngest says "YOLO" a lot ( You Only Live Once = YOLO) so I've been ramping up my feelings of abandonment...caution to the wind sort of thing!

And, you early AMCA guys...way to go and thanks!
                I'm a writer, Harry. I just let my mind to wandering a little there. You know, where it will go. Didn't mean to proselytize estate planning exactly, like I did. But that has occupied my mind possibly as a cause for someone to pursue with antique motorcyclists and others. My thoughts on death are "We all die. Just get ready for it."

Let me assure you, it's no reflection of my personal straits con tiempo. No, I'm in no way depressed or the like. I'm on top of the world, actually. Just fully retired, future assured about as much as you can get, these days, and I'm blessed with a tremendous life's partner with whom I'll be celebrating 25 years, my little forest pixie, Leeesa, in June. My loving house mouse.

Oh, and I am with the incomparable devotion of Border Collie Spot, our canine companion and protector, you know. I'm never allowed out of his sight (his rule); he watches over me, and us. I'm certain he'd be affronted if I failed to mention him.

And who you callin'
                "you early AMCA guys?"
                The AMC as it was called in those days, was eighteen years old when I joined. I knew a couple of the founders, and mostly their acolytes, the early members who were still around.

The Twentieth Anniversary was celebrated with bronze watch fobs, "Our Twentieth Year," a couple years later.

And, "Sorry for the highjack, Ironhead!"
                Last edited by Sargehere; 04-25-2014, 01:56 AM.
                Gerry Lyons #607
                http://www.37ul.com/
                http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Working...
                X