finish question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finish question

Hi all, I posted a question in the flathead area, but maybe it belongs here? I have located the proper carburetor body for my '39 UL with the 4 lines of writing. I sourced the rest of the parts for it individually. I know the carb body is supposed to be nickel plated, but am not sure about the remaining parts and hardware. Are the mixture adjustment knobs, choke lever , screws etc. also nickel ?
    Thanks for your help,
    Dwight
    AMCA 6295

It is not nickel electroplate. It is a dull nickel wash.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks for the help Chris!
      AMCA 6295

Comment

Have the body of carb bead blasted and then electroless nickel. You can also have the small parts plated with electroless nickel but the metal prep should have slight polish from a wire wheel or scotchbrite wheel.

Comment

You keep saying nickel wash Chris. My knowledge of nickel plating is either electro nickel plating, or electroless nickel plating. I've done both methods at home, and I'm not aware of anything in between. Historically, electroless was a process that became more common after WW2. Electro plating has been around for as long as there has been access to a DC power source. Production nickel plating for corrosion protection and not appearance is electro plated nickel without a copper base; and because it was a cost effective way to protect metal, it was put on thin. I believe Schebler, and Linkert carburetors probably had a noticable shine when first plated because the nickel was plated on a bronze base. Nickel plating will oxidize to a dull gray within a year, and if it is a thin layer on a bronze base, the color of the oxidizing bronze undrneath, will have a deffinate effect on the color of the nickel plating on top. Nobody knows what a Schebler, or Linkert carb looked like when it came out of the box and was assembled on a motorcycle. The only way you can replicate the look is by using common sense, and having an understanding of what the manufacturing process was like when that carb was created.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

If you go to any plating shop and request a nickel wash, they will not have a clue.

Comment

Chris is right, Folks,..

The nickel on body castings (and some bowls) was not the bright finish we find upon machined hardware.

Sometimes it's called "flash" nickel, and twice I read it was called "Watts" nickel.

Whatever, it varied from Schebler to Linkert, and then some.

The bottom line is: Once its gone, its gone.

"Restoration" rules should stop demanding its destruction.

...Cotten
              PS: Here's studies in daylight and fluorescent.
              Attached Files
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Tom, I stand by my statement. Neither you, or anyone alive today knows what a Linkert carburetor looked like in 1939.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help! As I understand your advice I should have the body flash plated with nickel, as cast. No polishing before plating. The hardware should also be nickel plated.
                  The body is worn somewhat smooth by polishing or cleaning over the years. I will bead blast it to make it look more like "as cast" before plating.
                  Again, thanks everyone for your input,
                  Dwight
                  AMCA 6295

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                    Tom, I stand by my statement. Neither you, or anyone alive today knows what a Linkert carburetor looked like in 1939.
                    Did I say I did, Eric?

The bottom line is that eradicating all traces isn't preserving anything.

....Cotten
                    AMCA #776
                    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                    X