Henderson Kj and Deluxe - more info please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henderson Kj and Deluxe - more info please

I am trying to find out more about Hendersos in general but specifically Kj's and Deluxe models. I do have the book by Schultz but is there any other relevant publications ?? I have seen the 'parts list' for each but need to order a copy for myself. From what I can tell from these, many of the parts looks similar but it's hard to tell if they are or not.

Also, do they share any similar parts such as brakes, hubs, rims, seats, handlebars, fenders, forks, etc ???

Thanks,
    Dan

In short; the footboards interchange Seriously, much of the rear brake, and much of the transmission are the same, but the KJ was a radical departure from the DeLuxe so not a lot carried over from the Deluxe. The way it works in the real world of trying to restore a KJ is; all of the hard to find KJ parts will be missing from a project bike, and when you look on ebay, or dig though junk boxes at Davenport, all you're going to find are Deluxe parts. The reverse being true if you're doing a Deluxe. Sorry for the glib reply, but that was my experience with the KJ I had. With any project bike it's all about perseverance, and willingness to spend the time it's going to take to find the missing parts. I've done some rare bikes, and I can say with authority that every part you will need for any motorcycle is out there, and that's where the adventure is in old motorcycles.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Golden Age of the Fours, is a great read and has a chapter on Henderson's. That chapter was enough for me to buy my Deluxe! The book is on E bay from time to time, they are fantastic machines - well worth the effort. Also the is a KJ site on the web - lot's of good info there, Good luck

Comment

I want to clarify my somewhat smart-ass comments above. I believe that a person should go after whatever bike they feel passionate about. I also believe that any bike can be had if you want it bad enough. This is a grand hobby, and our members are always proving how resourceful, and creative they are. So, go for it Dan, and don't let naysayers like me sway you.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

One more thing might be of interest to ya, the Deluxe's are the best deal on the market for American four cylinders. They made a lot of them, mine was rebuilt 17 years ago. I use it mainly on weekend mornings/ club runs. About 7,000 miles so far and it as been all but trouble free - their good machines! and their parts I would think would be a bit easier to come by - find.The KJ's are rarer, only made a little short of 3 years, their prices are higher usually. Same with all the other four's. Rob Olsen has a web site and is making parts for them - Henderson's, also a few other people. Engine work is expensive! also finding someone qualified to do the work is important! Deluxe's are a bargain, but stuff still can git pricey quick, good luck.

Comment

also Antique motorcycle works at least used to have a very nice repo of the riders book for the Deluxe, I would give them a call. Golden Age of the Four's was written by Ted Hodgdon - one of our club's founding members.

Comment

Henderson lit
              Henderson.jpg

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...=used&sr=&qid=
                A little pricey. Bob Rice #6738
                Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Holy cow!! time to start locking my books up :-)

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                    I'll say! Ouch!

Dan.... the folks I know with Hendersons say that there isn't a bike they like better. Here's some reading that can be had for free! http://antiquemotorcycle.org/virtual...ex.php?cPath=7
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                      I want to clarify my somewhat smart-ass comments above. I believe that a person should go after whatever bike they feel passionate about. I also believe that any bike can be had if you want it bad enough. This is a grand hobby, and our members are always proving how resourceful, and creative they are. So, go for it Dan, and don't let naysayers like me sway you.
                      Hi Eric,I have just joined today, and need some help with finding electrical components for a 1923 henderson excelsior, can you help in any way? Dale

Comment

Working...
                      X