indian 741 woodruff key slot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• indian 741 woodruff key slot

i have an indian 741 the key slot on the crank in enlarged ,any ideas how to repair ,the key fits in but is loose would something like jb weld work ?thanks

I don't think JB weld will do it. Not that kind of thing, I sure would not trust it. My guess is you need a new crank shaft, but there might be a fix, if no one chimes in. I will ask some who know and git back to ya, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Lovejoy View Post
      I don't think JB weld will do it. Not that kind of thing, I sure would not trust it. My guess is you need a new crank shaft, but there might be a fix, if no one chimes in. I will ask some who know and git back to ya, good luck.
      I have never seen an enlarged keyway on a hardened shaft,usually the damage,that I have seen,is broken or chipped pieces in the keyway/taper area.New driveshaft would be best,but guessing you don't want to take apart.
      I think the tapers locking takes most of load,not the key.Dont know about jb weld,but I have seen more than a few backyard welding repairs for similar issues.A bead of say 7018 on tightened nut to sprocket will hold till you take it apart,and the sprocket will still be reusable when you decide to a proper repair.
      Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
        I have never seen an enlarged keyway on a hardened shaft,usually the damage,that I have seen,is broken or chipped pieces in the keyway/taper area.New driveshaft would be best,but guessing you don't want to take apart.
        I think the tapers locking takes most of load,not the key.Dont know about jb weld,but I have seen more than a few backyard welding repairs for similar issues.A bead of say 7018 on tightened nut to sprocket will hold till you take it apart,and the sprocket will still be reusable when you decide to a proper repair.
        Tom
        Tried to edit,but meant to add you could also try to make and fit a custom stepped key.
        Tom

Comment

lock tite makes some good stuff, You might go to their sight and see what they have. I would find the correct stuff, clean your parts real good gob some on the key, and shaft, turn sprocket so it is against the key, and tighten it real good. I would try this before I took the motor apart. Stan

Comment

Working...
          X