Fuel Shut-off Valve Alignment Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Shut-off Valve Alignment Tool

I know this isn't a custom tool, but this seems like the right place to ask this question.

I'm considering purchasing Ted's gas valve shut-off alignment tool to correct a slight misalignment on my '47 FL. I have had some issues with some of his tools in the past. He has never given me any trouble in offering refunds for problem tools, but I can do without the back-and-forth. In all fairness, my experience is that over the last several years the quality of his tools seems to have improved substantially and I have been satisfied with all of my recent purchases. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone has used this V-Twin tool and if so, did it work properly?

Thanks...
    Last edited by billpedalino; 12-29-2013, 10:16 AM.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

I have bought two of them and they work well. But don't loan it to anyone or you will never see it again. :-(
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Also consider whether you 'need' the tool. If your tank is not shutting off properly, it may be needed. But I've now done the valves in several tanks with no need for a specialized alignment tools. I've also done dozens of Autovac type vacuum fuel pumps which use similar shut-offs... again never having to use an alignment tool.

Then again, perhaps I have just been lucky...

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

I guess that's why you bought TWO of them Chris....
        Bill Pedalino
        Huntington, New York
        AMCA 6755

Comment

Well, after reading Sirhr's post I went down to my basement fiddled with it a little more hoping that I could tap it into alignment on the bike. 20 seconds of assessment deemed this not a good idea.

It seems that when using an old rod and seat everything works very well. I then fit my new Peek-tipped rod assembly from Carl Olsen (very nice job Carl) and low and behold, there is interference. The rod-to-seat threads are tight and there is a fair amount of resistance when pulling the rod up to the reserve position. It would probably work as-is with the peek tip as the misalignment appears to be minor, but its not correct and I'm not going to grumble about it every time I turn the gas on and off.

The problem is that its a painted tank (no, nobody checked the fuel valve before it was painted!) and never having a need to use this tool before, I'm concerned about the paint. Looking at the tool, it doesn't appear that this adjustment can be made with the tank on the bike. So hopefully with enough old blankets on my bench I'll be able to tap this thing back into correct alignment without causing any damage to the paint.

As always, suggestions from others derived form previous experience are more than welcome.
          Bill Pedalino
          Huntington, New York
          AMCA 6755

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pedalino View Post
            Well, after reading Sirhr's post I went down to my basement fiddled with it a little more hoping that I could tap it into alignment on the bike. 20 seconds of assessment deemed this not a good idea.

It seems that when using an old rod and seat everything works very well. I then fit my new Peek-tipped rod assembly from Carl Olsen (very nice job Carl) and low and behold, there is interference. The rod-to-seat threads are tight and there is a fair amount of resistance when pulling the rod up to the reserve position. It would probably work as-is with the peek tip as the misalignment appears to be minor, but its not correct and I'm not going to grumble about it every time I turn the gas on and off.

The problem is that its a painted tank (no, nobody checked the fuel valve before it was painted!) and never having a need to use this tool before, I'm concerned about the paint. Looking at the tool, it doesn't appear that this adjustment can be made with the tank on the bike. So hopefully with enough old blankets on my bench I'll be able to tap this thing back into correct alignment without causing any damage to the paint.

As always, suggestions from others derived form previous experience are more than welcome.
            Bill

My experience with paint and using the tool is that on just a slight tweek the paint will be OK.

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pedalino View Post
              I guess that's why you bought TWO of them Chris....
              Yup. Not gonna buy another one.
              Be sure to visit;

Comment

The factory tool is a joke, Folks.

Steel has to be bent past the point you want it to return to, and beating the tool with a hammer does little to overcome this issue.

I started with a tap I made for cleaning paint from the bottom threads. Then I center-drilled it for a 1/4" ground rod that is long enough to reach through the top.

Any mis-alignment is visibly apparent, and a little grunt upon the tap with a piece of pipe easily tweaks it straight.
                When the top of the tank is bent, I use a piece of pipe brazed to a frosty 62091-40 seal cap, and tweak it similarly.

The paint never gets touched.

.....Cotten
                Attached Files
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

The factory tool works just fine and striking it with a hammer is not part of the program. A minor misalignment is very easy to correct. I think the V-Twin tool is fine. Don't tell any one you have the tool or all your friends and their cousins, and their cousin's cousins will be banging on your door with tank in hand.
                  Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Originally posted by koanes View Post
                    The factory tool works just fine and striking it with a hammer is not part of the program.
                    You need to read the instructions again.
                    Be sure to visit;

Comment

Good grief Chris,

You were the one that posted about beating upon the tool!
                      (I think it was on the FHP forum...)

Bottom line is that steel is steel, and it must be bent past 'true' to recoil to 'true'.

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776

Comment

As I said Cotten. read the instructions in the H-D Service Manual. It tells you to "Strike T handle several sharp blows with a hammer." Not my words but H-Ds.
                        Be sure to visit;

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                          Good grief Chris,

You were the one that posted about beating upon the tool!
                          (I think it was on the FHP forum...)

Bottom line is that steel is steel, and it must be bent past 'true' to recoil to 'true'.

....Cotten
                          I think Chris was trying to point out that you DO need to hit it with a hammer.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Oops, I see Chris beat me to it.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Sorry for my confusion, Folks,..

I shouldn't try to "multi-task" anymore.

But at least I still have some memory left; I only wish I knew to beat upon the tool the one time I attempted to use one.
                              (Although I am certain the owner of the tool would have been alarmed for his heirloom.)

....Cotten
                              AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                              X