1977 XLCH transmission issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1977 XLCH transmission issues

I am currently working on a 1977 sportster with electric start, I have never worked on one before and have no experience but I am a mechanic by trade, the bike was brought in stuck in 1st gear. I pulled the transmission out and found the shifter arm shaft had came out of the shifter pawl, I looked it over and everything looked fine and it shifted into all the gears fine. But now that I try to put it back into the bike it keeps binding up and getting tight when I tighten the trap door bolts. I have no service manual or previous experience so I have no clue if I have a shim out of place or something was missing when I removed the trans, but i'm hoping someon out there can help.

thanks, Ryan

Sounds like you may need a shim or two on the cam side case bushing area to avoid a repeat. If you are having trouble with reassembly, make sure the mainshaft end play washer with the tab has not bent the little pin by the race that keeps it from spinning, if it get bent towards the race you will have no endplay.
    Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Working...
    X