Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Left side crank case Lug broken (lug to motormount bracket)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left side crank case Lug broken (lug to motormount bracket)

I was trying to mock up my frame to the motor and after some time the crank case lug broke of of my 37' Indian Junior Scout. Is this worth repairing or should I try to see if someone might have one for sale? I attached two pictures. Where could I buy a solid crank case along with front motor mounts? Does anyone know of a great welder for this type of work if it is cheap enough to repair? Possibly in Illinois.

I had a lot of trouble getting the two main frame bolts in along with aligning the motor mount brackets. Is there a trick I don't know?

Kind regards,
    Jacob
    Attached Files
    Jacob Sinowetski
    Chicago, Illinois

Should be able to fix no prob. Just find a good welder, several of my cases were broken right off at the mount's. Not to expensive either, I have had no problems with the repairs. I would check your plates + frame, see if their bent or out of shape. The bolts should go through pretty easy if all is lined up ok, maybe something is twisted a bit. Good luck!

Comment

Jacob
      OUCH!
      As Tom mentioned, there should be someone in the Chicago area who can weld that mount for you.
      Something doesn't look right with your plates. I have several pictures of my build if that would help.
      Send me a PM if you wish, I'll help if I can.
      I wish there was more information published about our Scouts.
      John
      1938 Indian Scout
      1947 WL
      1954 Servi-car
      2000 Ultra

Comment

Thanks Tom and John. I found a welder in the Chicago area that thinks he can heat up the case then braze weld the lug for me. Do any of you know the difference between the 37 and 38 casings? A member informed me that the 37 was possibly aluminum and 38 cast iron? Does this make sense? My motor vin is missing and was told there were no military model scouts so it looks like i can't identify the motor since the plate was ground down.
        Jacob Sinowetski
        Chicago, Illinois

Comment

I would talk to the local AMCA guy's, their bound to know a good welder. Also try to find some one with the same model, their pretty rare but out there. They could be of real help to you, try talking to a couple of Indian folks in your area. Bound to be a Junior Scout owner some where out your way. Take your time, don't rush - check guys out. Some guy's say they can, then screw your stuff up. Then you find out, they really had no business trying to fix your stuff in the first place. I have had some stuff messed up big time. Also If the guy just don't give a rats ass, just saying - be a bit careful. Try to git people that are spoken highly of for their work, by AMCA members. Lot's of good folks in this out fit, I think I have heard about them having cast iron cases - not sure though. Try the AMCA on face book too, real active - might be some one with a Junior Scout on there, good luck. They are a neat little machine, that was almost my first Indian. Another guy bought it just before I got there to look at it.

Comment

If those plates and that engine and frame haven't been together before, they could be a mismatched set. I know Sport Scout and 741 front plates look almost identical, but the mount point at the frame is about 1/4" -- 5/16" different and won't fit. The bolts should slide through without having to massively pry on something. I bought a set of plates at a swap meet and discovered this when I got home. Those plate look way off for that engine/frame combo. I'm not that familiar with Jr. Scouts, but the same logic applies.

Comment

Working...
            X