Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer

Hi All,

I am looking to import to Australia as an export from the US an enclosed motorcycle trailer that can carry two VL's. I don't need much extra room so would like it just large enough for the bikes. I want them both front wheel in but am happy to stagger them because of the width of the handlebars. Any recommendations as to what is a good brand over there and also as to size. Needs to have drop down full tailgate to use as a ramp.

There are a number from browsing on the net that look better than those available here.

Thanks

Hello Downunder. I use a 6' x 10' Single axle Haulmark trailer. Enough room for two Super Glide or stripped down Electra Glide Harleys. I have hauled two "full dress" modern Electra Glide's, but one has to be backed in.
    Plenty of room for two bikes plus a cooler and luggage.
    Good luck, Fred.
    Fred Davis AMCA #9176

Comment

Sorry, I can't help you with this, but I would be interested to know the answer. I know that you can get a 8' X 10' enclosed trailer, but I have no idea of how 2 VLs would fit together "front wheel in". I suppose you could park your two VLs next to each other and see how wide they are together.

I have often thought about this too...
      Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Here is an interesting option. You may have to cut and paste the link.

http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/

Comment

I have a Featherlite about 6 foot 7 inches by 10 foot plus a full enclosed v nose with a side door and a drop down ramp door that uses torsion springs for assist to lift it and no cables to walk into. The extra width over normal 6 foot trailers is a nice feature when haulling 2 bikes. They are all aluminum with a high grade of hardware used through out. Mine sets out all of the time and dose not have a lot of rusty hardware leaving rusty trails all over it. They make the NASCAR and NHRA trailers, horse trailers and trams at race tracks ect. Not cheap but good quality and their welding on the aluminum frame looks great. I would just park the bikes side by and measure but this size should be fine.
          Jim D.
          Jim D

Comment

I have a friend with a Featherlite similar to Jim D's. They are really first rate trailers. Not sure about a pair of VL's, but a pair of modern bikes fits fine in their double-wide.

Curious... but does no one make a quality enclosed MC trailer in Oz? Seems like something that would be easier and cheaper to source domestically? Mainly just curious... The shipping alone would almost make a custom-made one a reasonable option. Any good fabrication shop should be able to build you exactly the kind of enclosed trailer you want... Lots of very resourceful folks down there.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Thanks all for the input.

Trailers down here are more than twice the price, probably due to the number that are made. Your market is so much larger than ours that economies of scale make lower prices possible. Also because of the size of the market there is more variety of models and and features.

One thing that seems evident to me that trailers in the states have interiors made from 3/4" ply. How have you found this re the strength with regard to tie down points.

Comment

Originally posted by downunder vl View Post
                One thing that seems evident to me that trailers in the states have interiors made from 3/4" ply.
                Hoo-boy... I think many, if not most or all, of the consumer variety trailers are lined with 3/8" plywood... keeps the weight down and allows them to use a name like "Featherweight"! Tying off via the sides of trailer lined with 3/8" would not be very wise... floors are typically 3/4" plywood and even with that it would be good to find a cross member underneath to secure your floor tie downs.

Only way I know of to trust your sidewalls to secure any load is to use E-track glued and screwed full length... and even then if you don't manage to bolt it through to an outside rail you can risk pulling the 3/8" plywood off the very lightweight and flimsy vertical ribs hiding behind the plywood.

Ever thought about building your own? There's not much to them, really, and you could probably source some of the hard to make parts, such as corner caps and door hardware, either in Australia or stateside if necessary.

My 2 cents!
                Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

The plywood works fine, but I always bolt through the floor and use large fender washers or a large aluminum plate that I cut out on a bandsaw for back up underneath. About 4 inches in diameter and .090 - .125 in thickness, with good quality hardware. I do not tie heavy loads into the walls even with e track because you can not bolt through ,but you must use some type of a screw that may pull out. I know of a dealer near me that had two new Harleys on a trailer about 3 weeks ago they were taking to a local Halloween parade to walk along side and pass out candy to the kids. On the way there they were making a low speed turn when the center front tie down anchor pulled out of the trailer dumping both bikes off the trailer onto the road. It had been screwed into the deck. I prefer to over do it especially on a enclosed trailer that you can not observe in your mirror what is going on inside.
                  Jim D.
                  Jim D

Comment

I would be curious to see how much on cost to either buy a nice one or build your own.
                    Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
                    Hoo-boy... I think many, if not most or all, of the consumer variety trailers are lined with 3/8" plywood... keeps the weight down and allows them to use a name like "Featherweight"! Tying off via the sides of trailer lined with 3/8" would not be very wise... floors are typically 3/4" plywood and even with that it would be good to find a cross member underneath to secure your floor tie downs.

Only way I know of to trust your sidewalls to secure any load is to use E-track glued and screwed full length... and even then if you don't manage to bolt it through to an outside rail you can risk pulling the 3/8" plywood off the very lightweight and flimsy vertical ribs hiding behind the plywood.

Ever thought about building your own? There's not much to them, really, and you could probably source some of the hard to make parts, such as corner caps and door hardware, either in Australia or stateside if necessary.

My 2 cents!
                    AMCA #765

Comment

Many years ago I saw a horse trailer that had been turned into an enclosed motorcycle trailer. The roof had been lowered a few feet and channels and tie down points had been bolted to the floor. It easily carried 4 adult size dirt bikes by having them staggered. The chassis strength of a horse trailer is probably way more than what's required but at the time it seemed to me not a bad idea. If you did go down the path of building your own the horse trailer builders should be able to supply the round front and other bits and pieces.

Comment

downunder vl - Just wondering if you've made any progress on the trailer decision? I start thinking about it every time I see anything resembling a motorbike trailer, then I jump on ebay and look and find that most in Oz are overpriced crap. It's something I'll also consider down the track so am curious as to how your going with it.

Comment

Hi Peter,

I am going have a trailer crawl at the Great Race over the January long weekend and see what everyone else is using. I don't need the trailer until my 34 bobber project is on the road so I probably have 12 months or so. There will be a large number of trailers there so I might get a heads up. I'll take some photos and post for your info.

Comment

Sounds like a plan. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                            X